Orphaned users in JIRA

Plexus ALM Support January 30, 2013

After switching JIRA from internal LDAP to Crowd-managed Active Directory, users appear "orphaned" in JIRA until they log in. That is, their user icon is replaced with the grey question icon and their display name is replaced with their username.

This would be a bearable visual quirk if not for other problems. If one of these users is assigned a issue, is the reporter on an issue, or is the project lead, the issue cannot be transitioned through the workflow without replacing them with a valid user. Short of asking everyone in the organization to log in, which I cannot control or enforce, is there any way to sync the users with Crowd so that that they are no longer orphaned?

2 answers

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Hi,

After the migration, I'm not sure if your user is already created in JIRA or they were droped on the database (note that JIRA keeps the user credential on the database even though it's not an internal user); You can try to check if you're able to find that user on Administration -> Users, and if someone who has not logged in yet is not there, create a new user with the same credentials as Crowd with the proper groups.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Plexus ALM Support January 30, 2013

I check a few orphaned users and noticed they were not in Administration -> Users. Is there any way to push these users from Crowd instead of manually copying their groups or waiting for them to log back in?

0 votes
Robert Chang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2013

Hello,

It sounds like you have this structure for user management:
Active Directory --> Crowd --> JIRA

Assuming the user already exists inside Crowd, you will simply need to sync the data over to JIRA via JIRA Administration > User Directories > Synchronise (on the Crowd Server directory). Typically the sync interval is set to 60 minutes, but you can change this as necessary.

If the user does not already exist in Crowd, then this would depend on the type of user directory you're using in Crowd to connect to Active Directory:

• If using a DELEGATED directory, the user will need to log in OR be manually created by an admin before they appear in Crowd (and consequently, JIRA)
  • If using a CONNECTOR, then the user should be synced to Crowd automatically (default sync interval is once an hour). This type of directory is the way to go if you need all users to show up automatically without logging in first

Suggest an answer