'Original Estimate' field not available to place onto a screen

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2015

I make the 'Original Estimate' field required on certain subtask types and validate this at certain transitions. This all works fine. But, often a developer/designer resource forgets to provide an original estimate onto the subtask and h/she transitions the issue forward only to be blocked because of the null estimate...then h/she must close the error, open the subtask for edit, supply the estimate, and then attempt to transition the issue forward again. I wish there was a means to include this field on the transition dialog to allow the user to provide it right there should the error occur. But, this field is not available it seems. And by design in my instance, I hide the original estimate once a work log is created since I want the historical capture of that value...rather than allowing users to change it at will. Anyone else in the same boat or have any suggestion? It's not a showstopper; it just seems to occur at least once per day per developer which adds up to frustration on their end. Obviously, I want the original estimate for historical lookup and to measure against actual hours spent. We have different kinds of work: production support where I need to understand how long work takes for resource_a vs. resource_b and we don't use story points for support issues.....and we have new investment work where we use story points to bid on each story and we also use hour estimates on the tasks to learn over time how long it takes individuals to complete common types of work.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2015

Can you try adding "Time Tracking" in your Sub-Task's transition screen and see if that works for ya?

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2015

Right! I didn't realize that field exposed that value. Thanks very much. It all works well.

Suggest an answer