Order backlog by custom-field value?

Thomas Kowalzik November 21, 2013

Hello,

is it possible to order the backlog asc./desc. by a custom-field value which I specified before already (best it would be if it always show up directly with the sorted custom-field)? We are having Business Value Points which determine how important a new User-Story is for our software. I would like to show the User-Stories with the highest Value Points on top.

Thanks,

Thomas

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2013

Hi Thomas,

If this is for JIRA Agile, there is one way to do this. Configure your board, go under filter and edit the saved filter. Change the filter so that it is ordered by your customfield and then save that filter. Next time you go into the board it will be ordered by that.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards

Anand

Thomas Kowalzik November 28, 2013

Thank you, it worked for me!

1 vote
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

Hey everyone. I'm sorry for the confusion, but the way that the whole ordering and creating sprints operates in JIRA Agile is by using the "order by rank" feature of the filter. When you change the ordering to something else, you essentially break JIRA Agile's Scrum board.

Sorry, Thomas, there's no way currently to do what you're asking. I'm sure it's a feature that people want, it's just not there.

If you want, you can have one board that is designed to do what you want with the rank, then use a different board to order and create sprints. I know... a bad solution... but I don't work there ;-)

Bleddyn Raw-Rees July 6, 2016

Is there any way around this two and a half years later??

0 votes
Ruchi Tandon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2014

Created a feature request here for this requirement : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11352

0 votes
Thomas Kowalzik January 12, 2014

No... Story Points is the amount that the developers estimate, how much work it will be. However from management level, the features are rated by importance with the field "Business Value", the higher the business value, the more important a story is.

So, therefor I want to order the user-stories by its business value, and see a ordered list, from where I can choose the features in order to start a new sprint, what is currently not possible however, as I need to order the user-stories by "rank"...

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2013

Hi Thomas,

Sorry I dont quite understand what you're tyring to do. By Business Value points you mean Story points right? You can do it one way like I have already mentioned above, which is by changing the fidler each time that you have to create a sprint as I the Story points will give you reporting with JIRA Agile, which the custom field won't.

OR, if reporting is not important for you then, use Rank field as your story points.

I hope I have understood your requirement?

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2013

If you try to change it to the original fiter, will it allow you create a new sprint? In which case each tiem that you want to create a new sprint you will have to change the filter to how it was originally and then change it back to order it by Rank or Business Values.

Hope that works for you.

Thomas Kowalzik December 1, 2013

I have directly changed the oringal filter to my customized filter. If I switch my modification back to ORDER BY RANK ASC, then it will work. If I am trying to use the Business Value field instead (which is by the way also a given field of JIRA), it will not work anymore and just show, that I am unable to create a new sprint as it is not ordered by rank.

Another idea I had: I just specify the rank as my Business Value. Is that possible? Or how is the rank determined? By showing the oldest entry first?

Cheers.

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2013

Hi Thomas,

That is a bit strange indeed. Can you please insert a screen print or something that I can have a look at to assist you furhter?

Upper Part, here I am defining the field "Business Value" as the field by which it should be ordered (I also tried to also order by rank, but its not working as well if combine it)

Lower part: The screen where can start a new sprint.

0 votes

I found another issue, that now I cannot create a new sprint anymore as the order is not ordered by RANK... wtf ?

Suggest an answer