Oracle database server questions

Jamie Rogers May 18, 2017

We currently have JIRA/Confluence/Crucible using the same database server with their own respective users and schemas.

We are in the process of adding BitBucket and my Oracle DBA had some questions specific to Oracle setup that I was hoping someone on these forums might be able to answer. I have already looked the the Oracle database documentation but could not find these answers.

1. Should we continue to use the same Oracle database server and configure a new BitbUcket/user --OR-- seperate BitBucket onto its own database server?
  2. Does these apps suppoer Oracle RAC (HA)?
  3. Does Atlassian recommend seperate tablespaces and LOB segments for each application?

Since this is my first post not sure if this the appropriate place for this questio or if I should engage Atlassian support directly (we're not experiencing any problems with our apps or configuration).

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2017

>Since this is my first post not sure if this the appropriate place for this question

If it went "bang", Atlassian support is the starting point.  When you're asking questions, or having ideas to discuss, or have problems that aren't critical, the community is usually better, as support is focussed on things breaking, rather than general advice.

>Should we continue to use the same Oracle database server... or ... seperate BitBucket onto its own database server?

Is the current database server struggling with the load of running all three?  If it's running ok, and you're getting backups and everything else you need from it, then I wouldn't worry.

>Does these apps suppoer Oracle RAC (HA)?

Yes and no.  They don't care if you use it, as long as they have full access to their databases.  But they are not aware of it, it's invisible to them.  You can't cluster Atlassian Server apps, so it doesn't matter.  (If you do want clustering, look to Data Centre)

>Does Atlassian recommend seperate tablespaces and LOB segments for each application?

Defintely separate tablespaces.

But, I am not a DBA.  LOB is something I know of, but I'm not qualified to answer.

Jamie Rogers May 18, 2017

Thanks Nic this is helpful, hopefully someone can answer the LOB question :) 

Suggest an answer