Options to change from LDAP to AZURE AD

Marc April 11, 2019

I have currently linked my Jira with a Microsoft AD and based my username on sAMAccoutName

We are now in the process of migrating to an Azure AD by using Atlassian Crowd.
Crowd gets the username from Azure AD as the email address.

Because we want to retain or change the usernames within Jira, so all tickets stay linked to the current assignees and reporters.

If I would change my current AD connector to use mail as the username instead of sAMAccoutName, would this work? And then later on change to Crowd.

Will I just end up with one user for each and all tickets are updated with the right user?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2019

Hello Marc,

I saw that you created a ticket with our support related to the same question, so to avoid any possible misunderstandings or miscommunication that may arise from discussing the same matter in two different platforms, let's focus on the ticket instead. Once it's resolved, feel free to share the resolution here.

Regards,
Angélica

Juan Behrend September 9, 2019

Hi, 

Do you have any answer to this, we have the same problem right now. 

What options do you have ?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2019

Hi Juan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In this case for Marc, what resolved the issue was to set up a new SLDAP server within a domain that is read-only and change the current LDAP configuration that that server.

The other option that the support engineer mentioned on the ticket is:

1. Change the username in AD prior to migrating to Crowd as JIRA will then update the usernames based on external_id within the cwd_user table.
2. After activating the crowd directory, export the instance into an XML backup and modify the username from the AD directory to match the crowd directory to force the sync between the 2 accounts.

Regards,
Angélica

Juan Behrend September 11, 2019

Angelica,

Thanks very much to take the time to answer it. Can you explain further how Marc resolved it, we don't want to use Crowd for only migrate the accounts.

Because of that we want to know if its another way to this migration.

Thanks you!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2019

He just mentioned that they set up a new SLDAP server within their domain which is ready only and changed the current LDAP configuration to that server and then they were able to retain all tickets to the correct user.

Suggest an answer