Opening Workflow Designer causes slowdown of whole Server

Merkle Germany GmbH November 5, 2013

Hi,

we have several Workflows designed. If one user opens one Workflow via the WF Designer the whole Jira Installation slows down.
Log files shows no errors which could cause the slowdown, DB (dedicated server) shows no slowdowns also. Monitoring of the Jira Server shows 99% CPU for every of the 4 cores (normal 1-10% per core).
If user exit the Designer the system works normally again.

Are there any tuning tipps?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Merkle Germany GmbH November 12, 2013

It seems that disabling GZIP Compression solving the problem.

0 votes
Merkle Germany GmbH November 6, 2013

Ala,

is there any possibility to check out which Plugins could cause this slowdown?
I will try the Safe Mode on non-production times.

Thanks

Patrick

0 votes
Merkle Germany GmbH November 5, 2013

Hey,

we using Jira in Version 5.0.4 and the WF Designer Plugin in Version 2.5.5.
The Plugin is listed under "System".
Any other hints?

Cheers

Patrick

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2013

Patrick,

That's pretty odd. I'm currently not sure what might the root cause of the problem be. However, the problem may be related to some third-party plugins which might be causing some memory leak and thus causing the CPU usage to bump up and cause the problem in turn.

Can you try to Enable Safe Mode and try to open the WF's and check whether the problem still producible?

Merkle Germany GmbH November 6, 2013

Ala,

is there any possibility to check out which Plugins could cause this slowdown?
I will try the Safe Mode on non-production times.

Thanks

Patrick

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Hey Patric,

Well, since you mentioned that there are no useful error messages in the logs, I'm afraid that this might be a bit difficult to determine which plugin is causing the problem.

Let us know how it goes with the safe mode. :)

Merkle Germany GmbH November 7, 2013

Hi Ala,

i tried the safe mode also and the WF Designer has the same slowdowns.
I found another source which could cause this behaviour. I disabled the GZIP Compression and tried it again. The Designer is now more responsive, the system reacts better now.
I will watch the whole performance for some days and give feedback if it solves the problem.

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2013

Hey,

May I know what JIRA workflow designer are you using? What version?

It happens in rare situations that due some upgrading failure that the plugin will be listed under User Installed plugin, which can cause some problems with the workflows when you try to open them.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer