Opening Additional JIRA tickets when one is closed.

Joseph L Nastasi October 19, 2017

I'm sure it involves scripting, but I am trying to open two new tickets when one is closed. Ideally, the new ticket could be linked to the old one.

Basically, when we close a ticket that was issued for software development, I'd like a ticket opened up for QA and Documentation Creation/Update.

Any pointers?

Thanks!!!!

Joe

2 answers

3 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2017

This can be done fairly easily with a SIL script using the app Power Scripts for Jira. Essentially you would write a script to create two issues using the createIssue and linkIssue routines and then trigger that script from a workflow post-function. Hope this helps!

Ethan Foulkes November 5, 2017

Hi Joe,

Here's a video that has much of the related code you would need. This one is just doing it on creation rather than closing.

This HowTo doesn't have a video but is also doing similar things.

Hope that helps!

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2017

Hi Joseph,

I know of at least two ways this can be done but both required plugins.

1.  Scriptrunner - Custom scripting

2. Jira Workflow Toolbox- It has a really comprehensive, easy to use create and link built in.  No scripting required. - ONly on Server

Hope this helps

Susan

Joseph L Nastasi October 31, 2017

Thanks, Susan!

Suggest an answer