Opened ticket has no action button to next state

Jirong Hu April 7, 2015

I have a few Request issues are still in Opened state, but has no Begin Work button to go to the next state. Any idea why?jira_open.png

jira-cond.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2015

Somehow this ticket got messed up. Run the Integrity checker in the admin screen and see what happens to this ID. As a workaround, clone this ticket so you can start working on it.

Ref: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Missing+Available+Workflow+Actions

Jirong Hu June 30, 2015

The Integrity checker fixed my issue or you can use David's change type workaround in the comments section of the above link.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

Check if you have transition issue permission, or check if there are any conditions in your workflow that are currently not met.

Jirong Hu April 7, 2015

1. Issue security is currently not enabled for this project. 2. Where shall I check the condition? I attached another image of the Opened state.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Udo is referring to your project's "Permission Scheme". Check if you have the ability to work on tickets, assignable user. Then counter check if you have that role.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Well the first thing to check is as Gabrielle said, the permission scheme. Look who has transition issue permission (or you can use the permission helper to find out if you have that permission). If you have that permission there is another possible restriction hidden in your workflow. Look at all transitions ("Begin Work" and "Suspend") and check what conditions are defined (there might be things like "only users in Role xxx can use this transition" or similar)

Jirong Hu May 5, 2015

Thank you guys. It was some required fields not filled. Why doesn't JIRA prompt an error message?!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2015

If you need a field required in order to transition an issue you always should use a validator with transition screen (which then can show a message) and not a condition. Now you know why!

Jirong Hu May 6, 2015

I am having another case. It's a Request ticket at Opened state, next should be Begin Work. There is no condition or validator created for Begin Work. All required fields are filled in. No action buttons at all.

Jirong Hu May 6, 2015

In the permission scheme, which one is for "transition issue permission"? I don't see it in our standard permission scheme. I am the JIRA administrator and also my id is added to this project as a Developer and Administrator, but I still can see any action button.

Jirong Hu May 6, 2015

JIRA version 5.2.4.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2015

Transition issue permission was introduced in JIRA 6 I guess. So if there is no condition at all you should see the button. If not, follow the instruction Gabrielle provided (+1).

Jirong Hu May 7, 2015

In the permission scheme, which one is for "transition issue permission"? I don't see it in our standard permission scheme.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2015

That is because you are on an older JIRA version. If you have browse projects and edit issue permission (I guess) then you can transition an issue (except there are some conditions in your workflow).

Suggest an answer