OpenLDAP accounts don't lock after failed JIRA login attempts

Justin Carter March 2, 2017

Hi, I have set up a delegated LDAP authentication directory and I am now able to authenticate to JIRA using LDAP credentials.  I am (unsuccessfully) trying to get it so that OpenLDAP accounts lock after a certain number of failed JIRA login attempts.

I have configured ppolicy on the LDAP side, and the lockout mechanism works correctly if I try to login incorrectly to one of our other systems that are integrated with LDAP (OS authentication and subversion authentication).  On the LDAP side I get a new "pwdFailureTime" operational attribute for each failed login attempt, and then on the 5th failed attempt I get a "pwdAccountLockedTime" attribute.

But with JIRA I only get more and more "pwdFailureTime" attributes with each failed login attempt and the "pwdAccountLockedTime" attribute never appears.

Can anyone help?  Thanks very much.

Justin

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Hi!

Could it be that pwdAccountLockedTime is not triggered due to Captcha?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34557

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-jira-application-options-861253962.html

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/221153

There is also plugins enabling more advanced behaviour if you run out of options.

0 votes
Justin Carter March 10, 2017

Thanks very much, your suggestion led me down the right path!  It was in a way related to the captchas.  The failed login attempts were getting expired in LDAP after 30 seconds.  So I didn't realize it, but I had to have 5 failed login attempts within the span of 30 seconds in order to lock the account, and the captchas were causing me to take longer than that.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2017

Glad I could help Justin please accept the answer if you feel it's appropriate. Also could you elaborate what you did? Did you increase the amount of tries before Captcha?

Justin Carter March 13, 2017

Sorry, Atlassian wouldn't let me respond because I don't have enough points to make more than a couple comments per day.

Yes, for testing I increased the amount of tries before captcha to 100 and then I was able to lock the account.  Then once I figured out that it was possible to lock the account I found the OpenLDAP ppolicy setting pwdFailtureCountInterval and set it to 0 (changed from 30) so that failed attempts don't expire after 30 seconds and 5 consecutive failed attempts will lock the account, no matter how long apart they are. Then I lowered the captcha setting back to its original value of 3.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2017

That sounds great I will try to bump your points little smile

Suggest an answer