Open up Issue for users with project restriction

Miroslav Brabenec May 27, 2015

I have restriced users to see only selected project like this:

1. Create a contractors usergroup.
  2. Set up the external contractors as members of the contractors group, and not the users group.
  3. Assign the contractors group to the users project role in the project you (or developers if you wish them to be developers on that project)
  4. Assign the JIRA Users global permission to the contractors usergroup so they can log in without being in the users usergroup.

Question: Is it possible to open up selected issue from project where user do not have allocated particular user role?

For example: I have two groups - Marketing and IT. People from Marketing cannot see IT project issues, because they are not in User role for this project. How can I grant only selected Issue from IT project to people from Marketing.

I have this kind of restriction:

Výstřižek.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2015

In point 1, there's a slight hitch - all new users will be added to the "contractors" group automatically now.  But other than that, it's correct.

2.  No.  You have to explicitly say that a role, group, user or other thing can see issues in a project, and then they get to see all of them.

However, if you use "issue security", you can set it on an issue-by-issue basis

1 vote
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2015

You can grant Browse Project permission to the groups you'd like to allow to open issues between projects. For example, if the Marketing team needs to open issues from the IT Project, you'd change the IT Project's permission scheme by adding the 'Marketing Group' to the Browse Project permission. 

warning This would allow the 'Marketing Group' to open all issues in the IT Project; it does not control individual issue access.

information Managing Project Permissions has more information on this option.

You may also want to look into issue-level security. From that page:

Issue security levels allow you to control who can see individual issues within a project (subject to the project's permissions).

Why use issue security levels?

As an example, a company may have a public instance of JIRA running. Within this instance they may have several projects that external people (customers) can browse. However, it may not be appropriate to show all issues to the customers.

Miroslav Brabenec May 27, 2015

Perfect. I used Browse Project permission for Custom Field which is Group Picker (multiple groups) type and it works!

Suggest an answer