Only top Swimlane showing

Hi, so I'm in trial mode and considering using atlassian for our ticketing/kanban management etc. and I am setting up a project but have now hit 3x hours trying to solve this one issue, and realise it's time I ask. 

So I have configured multiple swimlanes in the project configuration settings but I cannot for the life of me work out how to assign an issue to a different swimlane. The only swimlane that shows up by default is the one at the top of the list. 

On that same point...I added a 'Blocked' column to the configuration of the project board and this doesn't show up in kanban view either. I can't help but think that these settings are not being transferred over for some reason.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

Sam,

Do you have issues which should appear under these swimlane filters? In JIRA, many times things will not show up if they have nothing to show in them. In JIRA Agile this is no different. If your query is pointing to, say, assigned=Robot and Robot doesn't have any issues assigned to them, the swim lane will not show up.

This will be the same for fields on the "View" screens. If the field does not have a value, JIRA will not display that field.

Thanks Andrew but the question is how do I assign an issue to one of these swimlanes? They all just auto fall under the one that auto shows up.

I'm afraid I'm not a developer, (and keep finding ticketing systems that have UI that is aimed at developers), so I'm afraid the explanation needs to be a little more laymans speak. 

When you say 'View' screens I'm assuming you mean the column views but how can I assign a ticket to those if I have no way of dragging it to that column because it doesn't show up?

Although I'm not a web developer, I do strive for logical and obvious UI every day for all sizes of digital project, and this UI and logic baffles me???

I'll admit, it does take a little getting used to on the configuration-side :). May I ask what your Swimlanes are set up to do? Under configuration when you view your board > Swimlanes what are you using to actually pull issues (tickets, what you create in JIRA) into this swimlane? Here there are generally a few options: 1. JQL Queries. These can define your search in great detail, allowing you to search based on things as broad as issue types to as granular to a custom field you yourself create and define 2. Assignees - this will create a swim lane for each issue that shows up on your board based on assignee 3. Stories - these are actual issuetypes (generally issuetypes describe what the issue will contain. A bug will be a bug, a task will be something you need to do, a story will be part of a bigger project called an Epic) and what falls under them. If you can answer me that I can give you a better idea of how to see some more results!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Service Desk

Wy are we still using email for Service Desk workflows?

...attest to the experience of an urgent approval that gets lost in the boss’s inbox and requires that special “Please Approve” email or text message. In an age where we have distributed teams...

113 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you