Only the reporter and the developer may view issues in the open status

David Finney September 4, 2013

I would like to make open issues available only to reporter and developer. Is this possible?

2 answers

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

You could set up a issue security level (by default) where only Reporter and your developer group has access to this issue. For details see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

Yes. In your project permission scheme, grant the "Browse permission" only to reporter and a developer group or user.

You can also grant the same permission to a custom field and in that case the value will change for every issue. i.e. you can have a separate developer for each issue.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions for more.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2013

Ah, um, there's two problems here.

If you grant permission to "Reporter", then it means anyone with "create" permission will see the issue. It doesn't work the way it sounds. Jira actually thinks "Reporter" means "Anyone who MIGHT report an issue", not "The person who ACTUALLY reported this issue". There is a fix for this - there's a "reporter browse" permission which is disabled by default (because it can lock a system if used incorrectly, so Atlassian force you to read the docs before using it)

Second, David said "open issues". That changes the question from standard permissions to status-dependent permissions. Which Jira doesn't really do.

You could play tricks with javascript, or the behaviours plugin, and maybe some other plugins, but I'm not sure any would meet all your needs.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2013

Good point about the reporter. If you need the person who created it, as opposed to reporter, you will have to capture the creator in a user custom field with the help of a workflow post function.

I missed the status specific permission part. But JIRA does support status specific permissions using workflow properties. http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html

Suggest an answer