Only a particular group can create an issue

Marta CRUZ MEGIA January 3, 2017

Hi i'd like to know how to customize the workflow in order to restrict the creation of one type of issue to a particular group.

for example: the task in my project "X"  only can be created by the developers group

the rest of issues can be created by anyone

thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

You can't do this cleanly.  If a user has "create issue" permission, they can create any issue type in your project.

If you were on Server, there are a couple of add-ons or hacks that can sort of prevent it (but they are easy to bypass).

On both server and cloud, it should be possible to set up a workflow such that the create process will fail a validator based on the groups the user is in, but this is very ugly for the user because they still get to select the "wrong" issue type, and can lose all the data they enter into it.

thanks a lot for your quick answer. then it is not possible? how can a develop the "ugly" solution?

but. for example if i want that the group "PruebasMarta" can modify an issue in an status (for example in progress), in this status i add a new property: 

jira.permission.edit.group= PruebasMarta , 
but i don't know which is the command to avoid or allowed the creation because if I try
jira.permission.create.group.1= PruebasMarta it doesn't work

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

Workflow properties are a nice idea, but they don't work for create, because you need the property to exist before you create the issue.  Which you can't do, because there's no issue with a status to put it on yet.

I'm not sure how I'd create a "failed" validator on Cloud, I think you need one of the standard ones from a free add-on.

thanks a lot for your help

and the las question: do you know which add-on can help me with this "problem" in JIRA Server???

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2017

Script-runner has Behaviours which can help with the front-end (removing the option from the selection) and on the backend (check if user is in a group in a validator)

thanks a lot

Arturs Kalnins May 26, 2022

it doesn't look like Script runner has behaviours on cloud

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

The beta for Behaviours on Cloud was announced last week.