Only 1 user is not receiving mail notifications

Jael Busuttil September 18, 2019

A particular user is not receiving JIRA notifications: such as mentioning in a comment; when the user is reporter/assignee etc. 

The email address is valid as other non-JIRA emails are being received. I have tried sending the user a test email from JIRA (configure mail) and the error below was prompted:

550 User not found
DEBUG SMTP: Invalid Addresses
DEBUG SMTP: <user's email address>
DEBUG SMTP: Sending failed because of invalid destination addresses

DEBUG SMTP: MessagingException while sending, THROW:
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
nested exception is:
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 User not found

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Have you confirmed that you have the correct email address? It does say "invalid destination addresses" after all!

Jael Busuttil September 19, 2019

Hi @Aaron Williams

Thank you for your response.

Yes I did, that is what's strange, as the email address is confirmed and correct. I read somewhere in an article, that it could be that the mailbox for the user was created after the user creation in JIRA. However I did not find any feedback with this regard. Any ideas? 

Jael Busuttil September 19, 2019

Kindly note that the issue is now resolved. 

Solution: the user was not part of or member of the SMTP server that JIRA was linked to.

Like Aaron Williams likes this
Rob Miller November 1, 2019

Are you saying an email address had not been created yet for the user on the mail server? I'm having the same issue. I have 3 of about 30 users that are not receiving email notifications. 2 of them were working for awhile and then it stopped working all of a sudden one day. The 3rd user is a new employee.

In order to get them operational in the short term, we have them setup to use gmail or they have to login to jira to get their notifications.

Jael Busuttil November 5, 2019

Basically, the users were created in JIRA, but they did not have an account on the SMTP server connected with JIRA. So any outgoing emails to these recipients was generating an error in the log file (outgoing,mail - can be checked through . + view logs) and the error consisted of: "javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
nested exception is:
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 User not found"

To check the SMTP server connected to JIRA: . fullstop + ~Outgoing Mail. 

Suggest an answer