One user unable to login

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

Hi

I have one user that is unable to login and i don't know why!!!!

The user is set up within Active directory and can login to his windows account.

He is setup within the same groups as others within JIRA and his account is definatly there within user management. The users is still unable to login, it comes up with "Sorry, your userid is required to answer a CAPTCHA question correctly" and desipte what is entered it will not allow him any furhter.

I'm unsure what to do next as everything seems to be set up correctly

Help Please????

Thanks
Lee

6 answers

0 votes
Lee Buckley July 15, 2014

I had to delete the AD account and then re-create the account

0 votes
JK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

I only can guess, but I had some strange behaviour with users when their usernames are not lower case in the ActiveDirectory-source. Not with login but may be worth looking at...

If that users username is in mixed cases in JIRA, try to change case to lower case in your LDAP-source. Synchronize directory, check spelling as administrator and good luck with the test login ;)

0 votes
Lee Buckley July 9, 2014

The user is part of the jira-users group and jira-adminstrators group. I have just removed them and re-added to make sure they are defiantly in there.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

Can you check if the user belongs to 'jira-users' group ? Which is required to log in to JIRA

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

Can you check if the user belongs to 'jira-users' group ? Which is required to log in to JIRA

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2014

As an admin, can you open up his account and try resetting the "failed login count" for him, and while you're there, check that his account is definitely showing as "active"?

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

Hi

I've reset the "failed login count" and his account is active.

He can log into in PC fine using his AD account. (using eldap, if that helps)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2014

Ok, I'm afraid you're going to need to read the application logs to work out what is going wrong at login time.

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

Hi

I'm just looking throught the atlassian-jira-log and get the following

2013-10-24 08:38:13,576 http-bio-80-exec-11 User.Surname 518x4974x1 1lp0421 10.16.12.91 /secure/admin/WebSudoAuthenticate.jspa The user 'User.Surname' has PASSED authentication.
2013-10-24 08:38:13,576 http-bio-80-exec-11 User.Surname 518x4974x1 1lp0421 10.16.12.91 /secure/admin/WebSudoAuthenticate.jspa HttpSession [1lp0421] destroyed for 'User.Surname'
2013-10-24 08:38:13,576 http-bio-80-exec-11 User.Surname 518x4974x1 1lp0421 10.16.12.91 /secure/admin/WebSudoAuthenticate.jspa HttpSession created [1jf4hm9]

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2014

Hmm, I was looking for the log around the time your user tried to log in and failed. That looks like someone else hitting the "become admin" process.

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

do you know which log ? sorry i'm not much help when it comes to this side of things

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2014

Same one you already found! It should be recording the failed logins by that user.

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

No that access log, is not picking up any failures for the username

Lee Buckley July 8, 2014

I have found this in the atlassian-jira-security log

/login.jsp login : 'user.surname' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2014

>/login.jsp login : 'user.surname' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found

You haven't given them the rights to log in to Jira. You need to add them to the login group (usually, Jira users)

Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2014

Hey Lee seems that JIRA does not know who the user it tries to login is.

To get sure that jira at least have it on its database please post here the results for the following SQL queries:

* SQL query results from your JIRA database

SELECT * FROM cwd_user where user_name='UserName'
SELECT * FROM app_user where user_key='Name'
SELECT * FROM cwd_group 
SELECT * FROM cwd_membership where child_name='name'

With that we can make sure that this user is at least on JIRA's db.

Suggest an answer