One question with workflow and assign

Andrew July 8, 2012

I am a Jira administrator,the Jira version I use is 5.0.2,I create some custom workflow,then I apply one workflow to a Project 。

When my colleague deal with one issue in the project,they first write comment,then they click the button " assign"a,they always forget to click the workflow button(such as :refer to BA ,complete verify ) 。

Please tell me a method how to first click the workflow button,then they can click the assign button。I mean the workflow button is clicked must before the assign button is clicked 。Could I configure the Jira to achieve this objective ? Or some Jira plugin have this fuction ?

5 answers

0 votes
Andrew July 9, 2012

To Nat Hobson ,make sure assignee is on the transition screen for the workflow step you wish the issue be reassigned with 。

Tonight I download jira-misc-workflow-extensions-2.5.1.jar, and I install it on Jira .I want to ask how I make sure assignee is on the transition screen , as I know on the transition screen , there are view Conditions , View Validators , View Post Functions ,Edit Transition ,Delete Transition, Transition Properties , Where could I make sure assignee is on the transition screen . When I click View Validators , I select Field has been modified Validator , the Field include Reporter and Developers , not include assignee ,how could I add the assignee to the Field ?

John Lyne July 9, 2012

"Edit Transition" is where you are able to select which screen (if any) you want to display for the transition, if you don't already have a screen that contains the assignee then create one and add it to the "Transition view".

you can even force the operator to add an assignee using a "validator"

Andrew July 9, 2012

where can I create a screen and how to add it to the "Transition View"

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2012

Here is the current documentation for creating a screen and adding it to a transition view (you may need to navigate to a different version depending on what version of JIRA you are currently using):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Defining+a+Screen

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-workflowtransitions

0 votes
K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2012

I concur with Nat's feedback; however, not knowing what version you are at, you should be able to do that without a plugin - at least in OnDemand we have those capabilities already. But, it can definitely be dependent upon your version.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2012

Get the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

Then edit your workflow:

* make sure assignee is on the transition screen for the workflow step you wish the issue be reassigned with

* for the step you wish the assignee to be modified, add a validator "Field has been modified Validator" (for assignee field)

* add a post function to the workflow step to fire an event (whatever works best with the notification scheme you have associated with the project) so that the current assignee will get notified

That should do the trick. :)

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2012

Hi,

look at these questions:

- https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/66337/permissions-confusion-wrt-assigning-issues

- https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/53411/can-we-control-assign-to-me-button

Maybe you can get some more information about this issue.

But I don't know, if you can do anything about it, as long as you have the OnDemand-Version of Jira.

Cheers

Thomas

0 votes
David Toussaint [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2012

Whilst configuring JIRA a solution as proposed by you is not available. I also have not heard of a plugin to restrict the "assign" button if the workflow step hasn't changed. This does not mean such plugin will not exist though...

Anyway a good start might be to instruct your colleagues with the basic prociples of JIRA and the specific usage of it.

Suggest an answer