One project with a version for each customer or a project for each customer.

Johannes Harestad December 3, 2013

Let's say we have a project named "Bakery App". For each customer we created a version, let's say we have "Alice's Bakery" and "Tom's Bakery". They share the same core functionality, but got some custom stuff and each their design. We created a bunch of user stories and then marked each story with the right versions. But now we see that this might be a bad approach because you can only change the status from "in progress" to "resolved" for all versions, and not just one.

If we create a project for "Alice's Bakery" and "Tom's Bakery" there will be a lot of stories that we have to copy back and forth, a lot of duplicates.

What is the best approach to this in your opinion? :) Thank you for any answer, much appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2013

Hi Johannes,

I would simply create a project per Bakery (so one for Alice's Bakery, one for Tom's Bakery) and use these projects to contain all stories that are custom for this customer (design,...).

I would then create a global project which contains all you common stories (the core functionality).

You now have a clear project per customer and your core functionality doesn't have to be copied everywhere.

What do you think about that idea?

Best regards,

Peter

Sounds good! Thanks.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2013

Hi Johannes,

Could you please accept my answer?

This will mark your question as answered.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes

Of course, sorry.

When you say that one issue (story) affects several versions (Alice's - and Tom's Bakery) and resolve the issue, it will be resolved for both versions. There is no functionality in resolving the issue for one version only, and then the other later on. So you have to create two stories, one for each version - which is tedious.

So I'm asking how other users deal with this. Do you create several projects and create the same issues for each project where they share core functionality, or do you create one project like me and use versions? If so, how do you deal with the status for each issue that affects more than one version?

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2013

HI Johannes

I dont think i understand your statement

you can only change the status from "in progress" to "resolved" for all versions, and not just one.

Can you clarify this>

Suggest an answer