One project, multiple boards

Shawn Arseneau October 16, 2013

Perhaps I'm not using the tools correctly; however, here's what I'm trying to accomplish.

1. I have a project that has 10 issues

2. I need a board to do issues 1-5 and launch into a sprint: "sprint-low"

3. I need a board to do issues 6-10 and launch into a sprint: "sprint-high"

4. The problem is that Jira will not let me launch them at the same time

I'm able to create a project, create 2 boards both pointing to the same project, but when I open board1 (with sprint "sprint-low") and "start sprint", all is good.

However, when I open board2, it shows all the details of board1, along with the "sprint-low" and I'm unable to "start sprint" on "sprint-high" because it complains that I already have a sprint going.

If you need further metaphor, all of the issues pertain to a project; however, sprint-low is 'art work' and 'sprint high' is 'coding work' and at this point, it's information overload to overlap them into a single sprint.

At any rate, if I'm using the tools incorrectly or missing something here, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Newb to jira

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

Hi Shawn

When you say:

However, when I open board2, it shows all the details of board1, along with the "sprint-low" and I'm unable to "start sprint" on "sprint-high" because it complains that I already have a sprint going.

The sprint is vinculated to the issue and that is why when you access another board that contain those issues, you will see the sprint from those issues. You can't start another sprint by default, but if you enable JIRA Agile Parallel Sprints, as you can see here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+Labs#JIRAAgileLabs-ParallelSprints, you will be able to have more than one sprint started at the same time. Just notice that Labs features represent work-in-progress. They may be incomplete, or may change before being incorporated into the product

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2013

Alternatively, you could create a filter that distinguishes between these issues so that only those pertaining to the appropriate board will show up. For example, create a "art" component and a "code" component, and edit your JQL for board1 to restrict to component in (art) and board2 to restrict to component in (code).

Horst Krause November 24, 2015

Hi David. I disjuncted the issues of one jira project via two filters. The two boards use this filters and they seem to work as I only the a part of the issues. While this is quite fine, unfortunately I see the sprint of one board in the other board. There are no issues visible in the sprint, but the sprint is there, which is quite missleading for any planning on the other board. Also I am not able to start a new sprint because the sprint of the other board is shown. Any idea where's my fault? Thanks for help, Horst

Suggest an answer