One project, Single backlog, Single Sprint and Multiple Squads

Bianchini Leandro BRSP February 22, 2021

Hi,

I lead a DevOps team where the resources are organized in several different squads (6) but all of them are working on the same issue backlog and same sprint. Sorry, I´m brand new using JIRA and I would like to understand how to set up my project (one single project) to manage the situation described above.

Could you assist me with this?

Regards

Leandro

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Hi @Bianchini Leandro BRSP,

From what you describe, your basic setup is fairly simple. You have 1 project, 1 scrum board with a single active sprint - 1 backlog is a logical consequence of that.

Most organisations I worked with have the opposite challenge, where work is scattered across multiple projects and all of that needs to be consolidated into a single board. In your case, I assume your biggest challenge is to create visibility into the work of the different squads that are all using that same board.

If you can answer the question which issues go to which squad, then you probably have most of your challenge covered already. Possible ways I can think of would be through components or labels you assign to your issues. Maybe you have a custom field squad you can use to assign issues to the respective squads.

Then, add quick filters to your board, 1 for each squad. Using those, each squad can filter out just their issues to get a dedicated view of what matters to them.

As a disclaimer: make sure you are using a classic project for this approach. Though configuring everything is more complex, you can take a lot more control over your configuration than in next-gen.

Bianchini Leandro BRSP February 24, 2021

Hello, @Walter Buggenhout, first of all, thanks for your quick response!

Sorry if I´m asking too many basic questions, but as I said I´m brand new working on JIRA.

I´ll try to follow your recommendation, I just have an additional question about it: With this setup that you mentioned is it possible to control the number of story points allocated to each squad on the sprint?

Thanks in advance

LB

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

Hi @Bianchini Leandro BRSP,

No problem, that is what this community is for in the first place :-).

Yes, you can. When you are in the backlog view of your board and you are doing sprint planning, you can see the number of story points allocated to the sprint in brightly coloured lozenges:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 09.24.46.png 

Grey means to do, blue is in progress and green is done. When you apply one of your quick filters, the number of story points is filtered as well to match your selection:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 09.25.03.png

That way you can see how many points are allocated to each team.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events