One jira - two databases?

Pawel Trzaska May 6, 2014

Hello everybody :)

I got interesting question, is that possible to have one jira connected to two databases? I mean one instance oj normal Jira and two databases, one base is in this case main and it's used constantly, secon one is to generate reports. Second one is needed to reduce traffic on the first one . Is that possible to perform somethink lke this on one instance of Jira?

Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2014

Not in Jira.

Jira needs a single database connection, it won't write to two databases. So forget that idea straight away.

However, you are on the right track. Most database servers allow you to replicate. The server listens for changes in database A and copies the changes over to database B. The Jira connected to database A doesn't know or care about replication, it's all done by the database software.

You can then report off database B. You can also use it in case of disasters, and a simple backup regime could be to break replication, backup B (instead of A), and re-enable replication. (There are better ways of doing backups depending on your database, but this one is easy to do and easy to explain). The only thing to remember is "never write to database B, except by replication"

This is quite a common configuration and one that's often recommended (without a lot of detail on your setup, servers and support, I can't guarantee it's right for you, but it's definitely worth a look).

Suggest an answer