One email account per JIRA instance or one per project?

Maggie Stearns March 20, 2014

In order to setup the outgoing and incoming email features, I am assuming that I would only need to have one email account per JIRA instance. Next, I would create mail handlers for each project to enable the "create a new issue or add a comment to an exisiting issue" feature?

Just making sure I'm on the right track.....I don't have to create an email account for each project, right?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2014

Yes and no.

You need one email account per project that you want to *create* issues in. It doesn't quite work the way I'm about to describe, but it's easier to see what it's doing this way:

• Jira gets email
  • Jira reads the subject line
  • If it finds an issue reference in the subject, it will convert the email to a comment (as long as the sender has permission to comment), and stop processing it
  • If it can not find an issue reference, now it looks at the email handler configuration, which contains a single project, and it creates an issue from the email in there.

So, you only need one email address for commenting because it will add the comment to whatever it finds in subject.

But, as you can only create in a single project per handler, you need a separate email address per project Note that you can point several email addresses at one project though.

That's just the built-in handlers. If you want something more clever, it's always worth looking at JEMH!

0 votes
Matt Shelton March 20, 2014

Based on the Email Handlers documentation, this appears to be per-project.

0 votes
Maggie Stearns March 20, 2014

Does the email for the creation of new issues need to have the project key in the subject line?

Suggest an answer