One Project with both KanBan (no default to Backlog) and Scrum Boards

Phil Harman January 18, 2020

Jira Scrum Project template comes with Epic, Story, Bug, Tasks, and Sub-task. 

Epics and Bugs do no show up on the "Backlog" and do not need to be added to Sprints. 

I have a need in one project to manage Scrum (Stories, Tasks, Subtasks) and Kanban issue types, no sprints please for Action Items, Decisions.   

I am am adding new issues types to the Scrum Project but they default to using Scrum/Backlog functionality. 

My new issue types need to default to Kanban process like "Bugs".

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @Phil Harman

I actually agree with @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group 's first comment.

When adding an issue type and creating new issues - it's not the project template which controls whether it shows up on your board, it's the board itself.

The Scrum and Kanban project templates are just that - templates. In Classic Jira Cloud, there are no "types" as such, it just gives you the basic workflows, screens, etc for your chosen methodology, which you can then customise as much as you like.

But it's the board which will decide what shows up on it. So rather than creating multiple workflows, it is just a JQL change to your board filter. This is what I'm suggesting:

1. Go to the 3-dots in the top-right and select "Board Settings"
  2. In the General tab, click "Edit Filter Query" under the search query
  3. Add to this query - eg. "and issuetype in (Story, Task, Sub-task)"
  4. Press Search then Save, then return to your board

^ This would stop any new issue types appearing on your Scrum board, and you can repeat the process for your Kanban boards.

Let us know why this wouldn't work - as boards and projects are different entities so one shouldn't be needed to govern the other :)

Ste

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2020

Hello @Phil Harman  you need to work on your board filters in order to tell Jira to show all issues from the project but those that are action items or decision issue types on the scrum board and then on the kanban show only those.

Once that is updated your life should be easier, nevertheless, default issue types are per project not board, so you won't be able to change that. The only alternative you would have is to split the project in two, one for the scrum process and the other for kanban, each one with their own set of issue types and their default option

Phil Harman January 18, 2020

My apology.  I must have not made my question clear.  This is less about the board and more about the Scrum vs Kanban project behavior.  I am versed in board settings and associated JQL filters. 

Here is the use case using the Jira Scrum Project template. 

1) I create an Epic issue it does not show up on the Backlog Sprint planning page.  Great, just what I wanted.

2) I create a Story issue, it does show up on the Backlog Sprint planning page.  Great, just what I wanted.

3) I create a Bug issue, it does not show up on the Backlog Sprint planning page.  Great, just what I wanted. These issue types will be added to custom boards and behave like Kanban ... not having to move them from backlog into sprints.

How do I add new issue types to the Scrum project that behave like #3 above?   

Every time I add a new issue type to the project it behaves like #2 above, meaning it goes into backlog and expected to be moved to a sprint. 

Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2020

Ok, then if I got this right now, do the following. 

Edit the workflow scheme of that project and map the new issue types to the same workflow than bugs.

You might want to do the same with the issue type screen scheme if you want to see the same fields as well

Phil Harman January 19, 2020

I tried that and it did not work. :( 

Phil Harman January 19, 2020

OK, light bulb just went on.  Heraan and Stephen are right.  When you create a board, you are given the option of "Scrum" or Kanban".  So choose "Kanban" if you do not want issues to show up in backlog.  

Suggest an answer