I'm new to Atlassian, and I am very happy to have find all the tools here to manage my future projects.
However, maybe it have been answered already, but I got some questions :
1. I see there is the possibility to choose for OnDemand products, or OnDisk products (with some of this tools working on both like Jira). My first problem is, I would like to use the download version, but with Bitbucket for example (I was using Bitbucket in the past for mercurial code commiting). Is there any updates that will come in the future to give ability to use OnDisk products or plugins (including marketplace) to OnDemand website or the contrary (having Bitbucket or other online specific tools to Installed version) ?
2. I did not tried already Atlassian products (I will soon), but it's quite difficult to order and define all that tools in first view. A map image that show all the tools interacting could be great, to be easier for a possible new customer to be lost in all of that functionalities.
3. About pricing, I'm just asking, Don't you think it could be better to set it regarding the users using packs of modules or all the modules. I mean, instead of we have to pay $10 for Jira, $10 for Confluence, ... make a pack of all that tools and then we have to pay $10 for 3 users, $30 for 10 users, etc... Maybe it is a story of choice, but I think all systems are more powerfull whan based on users instead of functionalities.
Thanks for your answers.
Please use the 'add comment' feature to include a comment about a question/answer.
At this stage the user databases for my.atlassian.com and BitBucket are not integrated so you have to have a user on each system.
About your questions:
1. The main selling point of OnDemand is the easy of use/setup/upgrade that is all handled by Atlassian, going for the OnPremises (OnDisk) solution will require someone on your company to learn how to install and configure the tools, or hire one of our partners to help you with that. Almost all functionality that is available in OnDemand can be replicated on the OnPremises version of the products using the plugins provided on Marketplace, also going OnPremises gives you total control of your environment whislt OnDemand has restrictions.
2. We understand that for a first time user it can be overwelming to use and configure all the tools, and as I said before OnDemand aims to reduce this initial barrier. Also with a valid maintenance license you have full access to our Legendary Support Team that will help you with any questions.
3. Each customer has different needs and not everyone needs the complete stack of tools provided by Atlassian, we aim to keep a very competitive pricing and if you shop around you will be surprised by what our competidors are charging for similar or even less powerful tools.
We appreciate your feedback and please keep the questions coming ;)
1. The DVCS connetor will only display commits that have a matching key with an issue, two blogposts that may help you: http://blogs.atlassian.com/tag/jira-dvcs-connector/
2. Bitbucket was acquired by Atlassian a couple of years ago, so it's now becoming our Hosted solution for the DVCS world. FishEye is our solution for browsing/indexing the source code it doesn't allow managing the actual source code (it allowed during a short period for Git though now deprecated in favour of Stash). Stash is our OnPremises solution for managing Git repositories, it also has some simplified code browsing features but it's won't have feature parity with FishEye at this stage. As the three applications were developed during different stages of the SCM (r)evolution they have different codebases and different technologies, merging all features in a single product is no easy task, but we definitelly are aiming to bring more FishEye/Crucible features to Bitbucket (see http://blog.bitbucket.org/2012/10/30/building-inline-comments-for-pull-requests-and-commits/ for some nerd talk and some background in regards of your questions).
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG