On updating bugs, the bug marked as "Strike" just as bug displayed when moved to DONE

Deepak Soni June 15, 2014

Hi All,

I need your help to understand on issue which I am facing while working on JIRA.

Whenever I update any BUG in JIRA like I added any comment or added no. of hours, etc then it get displayed as DONE. It's status is not changing to DONE, only it's id displayed with Strike on it. Just like when you mark any task or bug as DONE, then it displayed with Strike on it.

Can you please help that, why it is happening? And what changes I have to do in this regard. I am attaching a screen here. Please have a look.

Thanks,

Deepak

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

Is it a JIRA Agile simplified workflow? Take a look at the configuration of the board columns and double-check that the checkbox "Set resolution" is not set for the first column.

Hi Sir,

I checked and found that we are using "Agile Simplified Workflow". But Sorry I didn't understand the "Set Resolution" thing. I am new to JIRA.

If you can give me the steps like "Configure - Issues Tab - WorkFlow Section - Workflow option". Then It will be a great help.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Deepak

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

Board -> Configure -> Columns: On each mapped status "card" there is a checkbox "Set resolution". This checkbox should only be checked if the resolution should be checked for an issue in this status.

Attached Screen shot of options i am getting

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2014

If you are on your agile board, like the screenshot in your question, you click on the "Board" button in the upper right. Then choose the menu entry "Configure" to configure your board. Now, on the left, choose the "Columns" tab. Now you see the mapping of your statuses to the agile board columns. On each mapped status "card" there is a checkbox "Set resolution". This checkbox should only be checked if the resolution should be checked for an issue in this status.

Furthermore, as Nik wrote, you have to remove "Resolution" from every create and edit screen, because it's not possible to manually set "unresolved". If the field is on an editable screen, it will be set after you save this screen for an issue. If you're using the agile simplified workflow, IMO there is no possibility for a transition screen.

Hi Henning,

Can you send me the screen shot if possible where I can see the Set Resolution checkbox?

I am not able to be navigate.

However, I found that if I make Resolution field disable from BUG SCREEN then everything works fine. But, then I will not be able to edit the resolution field.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2014

Sure, see here:

And than:

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2014

If you are able to edit the resolution you should remove the resolution field from the edit screen of the bug issue. That's the problem Nik texplained.

With the agile simplified workflow you are not able to edit the resolution, the resolution will be set to "Done" if you move the issue to the column (status) where the resolution checkbox is checked.

Thanks for the screen shot.

I still not getting the checkbox for Set Resolution. It means, one more place I might need to change the settings. If you know then please provide me the screen shot. It helps a lot.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2014

Is the agile simplified workflow active for this board? You could see this on the page where you did the screenshot. Unfortunately your screenshots is a little to small the see the workflow above the columns. :-)

No. It is not using Agile Simplied workflow. This is what mentioned

"Agile Simplified Workflow unavailable". This board is unable to use an Agile Simplified Workflow.Learn more about Agile Simplified Workflow.

So, Now do I need to use the Agile Simplified workflow?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2014

You don't NEED to use it, but you can. You'll lose all your screens and transition functions though, your workflow will simply match your board columns.

You will still need to remove your broken resolution options.

Moving to simplified workflow will NOT fix your currently broken issues though, just prevent more getting broken

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2014

No, you don't need to use the Agile Simplified Workflow. But without it, the problem with the resolution can only be triggered by misconfigured screens (and the resolution entry "undefined") like described by Nik.

Go to the project administraion for the project, than to Screens and remove the resolution field from both edit and create screens.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2014

You are setting the resolution by accident - do you have it on the "edit" screen for bugs?

No. I am not changing the resolution. On the edit screen I am just entering no. of hours or changing the assign etc. And after doing it, I saw that Bug ID marked as crossed.

After that, I am not able to remove that cross icon any how. Nothing works for me. Like you see in the screen shot. The Bug is in TO DO status and In Progress status but it is still showing as crossed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2014

I didn't ask if you thought you were changing the resolution, I asked if it was on the screen.

If it is on the screen, then you are setting it. You might not intend to, but if it's there, it will get set without you even touching it.

Please, check again - is the resolution on the screen you are entering hours or assigning on? (I don't mean the quick-edit options though, where you view an issue and can click on a single field to change it, I am talking about the full edit screen)

When I am viewing bug on full screen then I am getting limited fields to edit like priority, resolution. So, if I need to enter the estimates then I need to go to Edit option. On that screen I don't have resolution option. (So, the probability of changing this field unknowingly is removed.)

Now, on the edit screen I change anything, then the bug shown as crossed. Interestingly, the Bug before edit shows Resolution as "Unresolved" and after edit any field for the bug it automatically changed to "Undefined" which is the default value.

And I checked the Resolution drop down value, I don't see any Unresolved option. That is, first time when you create a bug, the resolution is set to Unresolved and after creating a bug, if you change anything on the edit screen, the resolution gets set to Undefined and bug id shown as Crossed.

Regards,

Deepak

Here is the screen shot of Edit comment. Here resolution drop down is not available

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2014

>Interestingly, the Bug before edit shows Resolution as "Unresolved" and after edit any field for the bug it automatically changed to "Undefined" which is the default value.

Right, well, that is part of the problem.

If you put ANYTHING in the resolution field, the issue is RESOLVED and hence STRUCK OUT.

It doesn't matter if you put in the word "undefined", "unresolved", "null", "empty" - ANY value in there sets it to resolved and struck out.

You should REMOVE that "undefined" and any other similar values from the list immediately, because they are breaking your system

Once you've fixed that, then we can go back to looking to how it's getting set incorrectly. Henning is further ahead on the details of how to get to screens, but I'm afraid you need to go over EVERY screen you've got and make sure resolution is NOT on any screen that is used for Create or Edit.

The only place you can put a resolution on a screen is *view* and *transition into a closed/done status*. If you've got it anywhere else, remove it.

">Interestingly, the Bug before edit shows Resolution as "Unresolved" and after edit any field for the bug it automatically changed to "Undefined" which is the default value.

Right, well, that is part of the problem.

If you put ANYTHING in the resolution field, the issue is RESOLVED and hence STRUCK OUT."

-----------------

Actually, when I am saying edit any field for the bug means I am editing no. of hours, or changing assign etc but NOT RESOLUTION field. Here I want to say that you do any change in the bug, the RESOLUTion field is getting updated automatically to UNDEFINED.

Regards,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2014

Sorry, you're missing the point. You've got TWO related problems here.

First, your resolution is being set when it should not be. We're trying to help you find that, but you need to go through your screens. It might not be the screens, but it probably is, and you must check and fix your screens before we can get anywhere with this problem.

Second, you've got a resolution list that is broken. It contains an option you have called undefined, which is what is ending up on the issues, and making Jira consider them closed (and hence strike out). You need to remove that option from the list of resolutions because it's wrong.

Nic Brough (Adaptavist) June 15, 2014

Sorry, you're missing the point. You've got TWO related problems here.

First, your resolution is being set when it should not be. We're trying to help you find that, but you need to go through your screens

Second, you've got a resolution list that is broken. It contains an option you have called undefined, which is what is ending up on the issues, and making Jira consider them closed (and hence strike out). You need to remove that option from the list of resolutions because it's wrong.

Can we have a skype call please?

I will share my screen and we can fix this in few minutes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2014

I'm not support, I'm an end user like you.

I'm not sure what else we can tell you though. You've got broken options in your resolution list you need to remove, and you need to look at EVERY screen that may have the resolution field on it, and remove it from the ones that are causing problems.

Deepak Soni June 22, 2014

Thanks for your help guys.

It really helped me.

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2014

Hi Deepak,

Can you post the snapshot of the Edit screen of the Bug with all fields shown? Not just few. You can do that with these steps:

On the bug Click on Edit -> On top right, click on "Configure fields" on top right -> Clock on "All link"

This will show you all the fields that are editable on the screen.

Ignore if you have already done this.

Vijay

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2014

Mark the best answer as correct - there's a tick mark to the left of the avatar of the person who gave the answer

0 votes
Deepak Soni June 23, 2014

How to Close this question?

I am not getting any option where I can close this.

Suggest an answer