On making existing field mandatory and not able to raise issue

NAVEEN KUMAR C October 19, 2017

We made existing field mandatory and removed this filed from particular (Create issue) screen  but still on creation of issue. we are facing error mandatory field not entered. Earlier, to this particular field was optional and present in create and resolve screens level. Now, we have made mandatory and removed it from create screen. we are not able to create any issue now.  

3 answers

2 votes
Gregor Kasmann_Actonic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2017

It is an expected behavior.

1. You've made field mandatory.
  2. User have to filled it on create screen.
  3. The field should be present on Create Screen or user will received an error.
NAVEEN KUMAR C October 19, 2017

I do not want user to fill any data on create screens. So, I have deleted the field and in resolve screen I want user to fill data mandatory.  but now I facing error in create screen even  though that field is not available.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2017

If you only want it to be filled in when resolving the issue only put it on the transition screen for that transition and the View screen. If you put it on the edit screen you run the risk of someone putting something in it. 

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2017

If you set up a field to be mandatory, the field is required for every operation (create, edit).

In your response .. it looks like you want the user to create without showing that field, and make it mandatory in futher steps. This can be achieved by

* making the field optional,

* removing it from the create screen

* use the Jira Misc Workflow plugin, and setup a transition validator to allow transition only if the field is populated

HTH

Suggest an answer