On Sub Task Creation, set Sub Task's status to same value as Parent's status

Peter Pequeno February 21, 2014

I would like to have it so that when a user create a "sub task", the sub task gets setup with the same "status" as the parent task. From my understanding, I should be able to accomplish this by putting a Post Function on the Create Issue transition on my workflow, but this has not been working for me. Can someone help.

To simplify my testing, I've setup a simple workflow where all the status on the workflow have the "Allow all statuses to transition to this one" enabled.

On the default "Create Issue" transition in the workflow, I added a Post Function step named "Set Field Value from Parent". With this added, my Post Function list on the "Create Issue" transition looks like this:

1. The value(s) of field Status will be set from the issue's parent (replacing existing values).
2. Creates the issue originally.
3. Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.

I Published the workflow and tested it.

I tested it by creating an new Issue, then moving that issue to the In Progress status from the Open status. Then within that first issue, I created a Sub Task issue. After creating it, I expected the Sub-Task issue to be automatically transitioned to the "In Progress" status from the Open status, but it didn't. The Sub-Task status still remained in the "Open".

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here. Is this is a known bug with Jira. If so, is there any other way of configuring Jira to accomplish my objective.

I greatly appreciate the help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2014

Hey there, I did some searching around, and found another Answers thread that could probably give you a heads up on how to achieve this here.

Suggest an answer