Okta-to-JIRA provisioning stopped "Cannot edit group memberships, as external user management is en"

Rosa M Fossi August 29, 2017

Hello Community,

I'm trying to track down why suddenly my Okta-JIRA provisioning "broke". Last known good provision was August 15th, but today when I added someone to a group in Okta, which normally simply passes it along to JIRA it threw the following error

An error occurred while pushing a profile update to this app.

Automatic profile push of user Sally James to app JIRA Cloud (Atlassian) failed: Failed to push a profile to a user to Jira. Failed to update users in group: jira-client-support. Cannot edit group memberships, as external user management is enabled, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Did something recently change in the JIRA Cloud backend that would've caused this? 
Okta is currently researching, but no solution from them yet. I was hoping that maybe someone here has run into this error before and could point me in the right direction.   THANKS!

2 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Hi Rosa,

I believe you may be running into the bug documented in JRACLOUD-67118 or a variation of it.

The current workaround is to add users to groups using the user management option, however, this should be resolved shortly but I do not have an ETA of completion.  Vote on JRACLOUD-67118 and you'll be notified when the fix is in place.

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi August 29, 2017

Thank you Branden. I've upvoted that ticket.

Suggest an answer