NullPointerException when accessing JQL

krishnan December 29, 2014

Whenever I am trying to access "/issues/?jql="  I am getting 500 error and below is exception

Cause

Referer URL: http://localhost:8889/plugins/servlet/upm

com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: java.lang.NullPointerException
com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache$DelegatingLoadingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:270)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.persistence.CachedFieldConfigSchemePersister.getFieldConfigScheme(CachedFieldConfigSchemePersister.java:100)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.getValue(FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.java:72)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.getValue(FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.java:63)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.getRelevantConfigScheme(FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.java:323)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.getRelevantConfig(FieldConfigSchemeManagerImpl.java:293)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getRelevantConfig(CustomFieldImpl.java:670)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getReleventConfig(CustomFieldImpl.java:362)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.isInScope(CustomFieldImpl.java:390)

I don't find any exception when I navigate to FieldConfigurationSchemes in Administration but the above exception is thrown whenever I navigate to IssueNavigator by using this url  http://host:port/issues/?jql=

But I can browse any single issue independently.  How do I fix this?

Thanks

Krishnan

3 answers

0 votes
Herberts Markūns November 9, 2015

Had a similar issue, where I was unable to search by any select lists.

There's probably something wrong in the database, for me it was select list options having value of "null" or "disabled" column being "null". So you'd have to look for nulls that shouldn't be there. 

select * FROM customfieldoption where customvalue is null OR disabled is null;

Might be something completely different. 

Also, after you cleaned up the nulls, make sure you clear the cache:

Back up, and then delete jira_home/caches/indexes/ folder. You might even want to try that first, might get lucky and find out that only the cache was messed up. 

Sajan Kumar Devarakonda October 17, 2019

Hi @krishnan2

I'm experiencing the same issue. Did you find any solution?

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014

Hi,

If I look at the stacktrace, there seems to be something wrong with your field configuration. You could try running the integrity checker (Administration > System > Integrity Checker) to see if that shows what the problem is.

Regards,

Geert

krishnan December 30, 2014

Passed all the integrity checks. there is no mention of Field configuration at all

Suggest an answer