Notifying via e-mail

NickW February 25, 2013

Can I send and e-mail to a specific person or group when a custom field holds a specific value i.e. when the field is changed rather than when a transition occurs?

Thanks

Nick

2 answers

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

Normally, notifications are being sent based on events that get fired in a post function, which will only occur when a workflow transition takes place. Since adding a value to a (custom)field without performing a workflow transition will not fire an event, there is also no possibility to send out a notification based on this. There is however an event "Issue Updated" which will send out notifications based on issue updates/edits without a transaction taking place. If you assign the appropriate entities to this notification event, they will get notifications when an issue gets edited/updated

NickW February 25, 2013

Mmm OK think I am missing something here. First, thanks for the reply.

OK I go into the add notification.. select issue update... select Group custom field and set that to the field of interest... but how does that connect to the person or group I wish to be notified?

Appologies if I am being a thicket here

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

Hi Nick

I am afraid that currently this is actually not possible to be done in the original functionality of JIRA. What Mick was trying to said that, notification are being sent out based on the event from the post function itself. In JIRA, only workflow transition create post-function.

However, this has been discuss before : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/67193/send-e-mail-notification-after-editing-a-specific-custom-field-in-issue-edit-screen

It will require development modification in order to achieve this configuration.

Hope it helps !

Cheers :)

Suggest an answer