Notify users added to a multi-user custom field without a transition?

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2017

Hi,

We have a multi-user custom field that notifies user(s) in that field on the Create transition using a post function. However, there is now a need to notify new user(s) added (and only those added) to that field AFTER the issue has been created and without a transition. I've done some digging and it doesn't appear there is out-of-the-box Jira funtionality to do that but there may be an add-on or two that could. Does anyone have any experience with this and could advise?

Thanks,

Michael J

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2017

"without a transition" strongly implies an "edit" and hence an "issue updated" event going out to tell us it's been updated.

Whilst events contain a list of all changes made, there's no code in the notifications to say "detect change of type X and send mail on that one change".  The issue has changed, that's all it can catch (otherwise you'd need to have events going out for every possible field change!)

What you'll need to do is find or write a listener that can catch "update", detect the change(s) you are interested in, and fire an email off itself.  In this case, the code also needs to refine the user list down to "those added in this change"

I'd reach for the script-runner to do this as usual.

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2017

Hi Nic,

Your assumption about "edit" is correct, it's definitely an edit to the custom field.

We're licensed for Scriptrunner but if I understand you, I'd still need to write or find some code to make this work. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm kinda dead in the water as I'm not a coder. Was looking for a plug-n-play solution. The add-on 'Email This Issue' aka JETI looks like a possibility.

Thank you,

Michael

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2017

You could use ScriptRunner to do this. I have used it to do calculations whenever a field is edited in the issue.

Suggest an answer