Notify me when issue created from Email

Mason Blake August 23, 2013

I posted this question before, but I'm not satisfied with the answer and updating it doesn't seem to garner a response so here it goes again.

I have connected an email address to JIRA so that users can submit bugs to us from an email message. Because this could be sent from literally anyone (even non-JIRA users, our end-users - who do not know about jira and never will) I want to be notified of issues created via email.

In my previous question I was directed to setup a Notification Scheme, which I did. I currently DO get notified of issues created via email, but only because I had to set the scheme to notify me of all my changes.

Now this is NOT ideal and produces a lot of unwanted emails. Every time I edit a case, I get emailed - why would I want that? I made the change myself. I do not want to be notified of changes I make in JIRA. I only want to be notified of issues created via email.

Is this at all possible? Please help, my email is flooded everyday with dozens upon dozens of JIRA emails notifying me of changes I make everyday.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2013

I think the original question does address most of your problems, so it's worth going back over that and thinking through your notification schemes.

However, one thing in this question really jumped out at me. You say

"my email is flooded everyday with dozens upon dozens of JIRA emails notifying me of changes I make everyday"

This is normal, Jira is sending emails to who you've told it to - reporter/assignee/watcher/minion/cat - all depends on your notification scheme.

But there is a very obvious problem in that it keeps telling the person who just did something that they just did something. This is immensely annoying (I *know* I just clicked "close", stop telling me what I just did...), and Atlassian recognised this was a problem and fixed it a long time ago. Just go to your own profile, and remove the tick against "email me on my own changes" box, and it will then silently drop them.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2013

You only want the notification for "Issue Created" on the notification scheme, so make sure you're not added to receive notifications for the other events.

Suggest an answer