Notify/do not notify on the fly option for JIRA

Lauren Free November 2, 2016

I've used some systems where there was a "do not notify" box that could be checked to override the default notification settings so that users didn't get e-mailed for minor changes.  Is there any way to set something up like this in JIRA?

Alternatively, if this isn't possible, I'm considering setting up the notification scheme so that it doesn't send notifications for updates.  Is any workaround that people know of where a user could opt to send a notification on the fly?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2016

Nope. JIRA does not have this functionality. The only workaround is to do a Bulk Edit and you will get the option of not notifying users.

Thanks Timothy.  I just found this https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/173183 but was wondering if that was still the case or if it might have been enhanced in the past few years.  Thanks for confirming that it still isn't a functionality.

2 votes
Renee Lyons November 2, 2016

Notifications are a big pain point for a lot of JIRA users.

Here's one work-around:

1. Create a custom event, such as "Notify Watchers."
  2. Create a custom transition in your workflow for any status to itself, with a clear name like "Notify Watchers." You might assign an empty screen to the transition, so that your users can add a comment when transitioning.
  3. Change the post-function on that transition so that instead of firing a Generic Event, it fires "Notify Watchers."
  4. Modify your notification scheme so that it doesn't notify users for "Issue Edited" events, but does for your custom event.
  5. Train users to click the transition button to send an email to the watchers.

Thanks, Renee - that's a great idea.  I was wondering if something like that might be possible.  Thanks for weighing in on this!

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2016

So basically turn off all notifications except for ones due to a transition. That also stops any email about issues getting edited. You could change the transition screen to have all the fields that can be edited but that's getting a bit painful to use

Suggest an answer