Notifications sent to an email alias not working

Matt Morrison April 6, 2017

I want to set a notification scheme so that notifications are sent to an email alias (jira-all@).

People who are in this group want to receive notifications for all issues and be able to filter them (based on the incoming address jira--all@) to distinguish these notifications from issues on which they are watchers or reporters.

So:

All issuses -- sent to jira-all@

Issues in which I am a reporter, assigned, watching, etc -- sent to <myemailaddress>@

I can set up a role that gets alerted for all issues and add the users to it but then the emails are sent directly to them, rather than to jira-all@ list.

Can this be done?

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

You would need to create a JIRA account that has the "jira-all@" email address and set your notification to that user in order to do this.  Why wouldn't you want JIRA to just manage this itself and send individual emails?  

There are a number of reasons why having this kind of stub user around in JIRA is not a good idea. It costs you a license, makes things confusing for users and makes things confusing for admins, so I wouldn't do it unless you have a good reason, like the jira-all also has a mailbox that is used for some other purpose.

Matt Morrison April 12, 2017

Thanks. Turned out the issue was on the Google mail side - not allowing posts from outside the domain.

The reason we want to do this is to allow filtering: everything goes to a group alias that can be filtered and individual items that might be more relevant go to an individuals email address.

May not be the best way of handling this but for now it matches the behavior of the previous system and people are OK with it.

Thanks for the response!

Suggest an answer