Notifications not sent to distribution list

Supriya Jha April 20, 2016

I have several dummy users set up in Jira, which are each linked to a distribution list email id. When an issue is created the notification must go to the reporter, assignee and watchers.

The notifications, permissions and project roles are perfectly set up and checked multiple times for any missing links. I also verified that JIRA is successfully sending mails to all of these distribution lists when I use the "Send email" (Administration> System> Outgoing Mail> Send Email) feature. I also inspected the Mail Queue under Administration > Mail Queue and verified that it is empty. I have also verified that notifications for the concerned project are going successfully to the expected stakeholders when the reporter, assignee or watcher is a user linked with individual email id (as opposed to a distribution list). I have also ensured that these dummy users have logged in to the application once and verified that their login count is greater than 0.

Can someone please help me figure out why the notifications are still not going to the distribution lists alone?

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Karen Woodmansee March 29, 2019

I just ran into this issue myself.  A new alias/distribution list was not able to receive emails from Jira but other aliases have been working correctly. This was for both ticket assignment and the "@alias" mentions in comments.

The issue was that the new alias was set up on the IT side as "internal only."  The solution was to change the alias to be externally facing so that Jira could send emails to the alias.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hector Vazquez December 4, 2017

I had the same issue, what I did was to add the "single users" to the permission scheme with "Browse Project" and "Create Issues" permissions. Not in the "Users and Roles" section, but in the "Permissions" section.

Permissions -> Action -> Edit Permissions -> Grant Permission -> Show More -> Single User

0 votes
Francis Kpodo May 6, 2016

Hi Supriya,

I have the same issue with Confluence and I hope help will come soon.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

What permissions/roles does the dummy users have in the project? Are they either reporter, assignee or a watcher? 

Supriya Jha April 23, 2016

Thanks for replying Gabrielle. The dummy users have been given role: "Service Desk Customers" and all of the available permissions have been given to them.
They are usually reporters on the tickets that I have been testing till now. In few cases, they were made watchers as well, but no email notifications are going to the delivery lists.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2016

Check the jira/application logs for any errors. Are those email address accessible from your domain?

Supriya Jha May 4, 2016

These e-mail addresses are merely distribution lists that contain other individual e-mail IDs. They are accessible from my domain. I have verified that regular test mails are going to the groups.

Suggest an answer