Notifications not sent for user in project as member of the Anyone group

Kathy Tempesta March 19, 2013

I have a project where most of the users are not explicitly members, but the "Anyone" group has Browse Project permission. I have a standard notification scheme but users only in the project thorugh "anyone" aren't receiving email notifications (I checked the JIRA email logs). Users explicitly in the project get the same notifications as expected (e.g., Reporter notified on Comment Added).

The docs say:

A Single Email Address notification will only be sent if the issue is publicly viewable (as the email address of a non-JIRA user could be specified, in which case a security check is not possible). Publicly viewable issues are issues which have a Permission scheme that gives the 'Browse Projects' permission to 'Anyone' (any non-logged-in users).

So I assumed if the single email address notification worked with a permission scheme using Anyone, regular ones like Assignee and Reporter would too. Is that not true?

Other than the project memberbership issue, there is no difference between the users receiving notifications and the ones who don't. Does anyone know what else might be causing this problem if it's not the "anyone" group?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kathy Tempesta April 16, 2013

Closing this as it seems to be a mail problem, not a JIRA problem.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

Hi Kathy,

If I read your question correct people who are not in any project role and who have created an issue don't get any of the reporter notifications?

Just wondering : was this person logged into Jira when he/she created the issue? And is this correctly represented in the Reporter field of the issue?

Kathy Tempesta April 1, 2013

Yes, in this case, she was logged into JIRA when she created the issue and she shows correctly as the Reporter. I think I am going to have to set aside some time to dig through the logs and see if I can find a pattern of all the emails that aren't being received. I'm getting reports from more people that they are having the same problem. I'm beginning to think it isn't a notificaiton scheme problem but rather an email problem.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

It does indeed sound like a mailing problem.

Might it be that the mails are being caught in a Spam filter?

Good luck log hunting!

0 votes
Kathy Tempesta April 1, 2013

Atlassian is nagging me to resolve my question but I still don't have an answer :(

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

You mean regular users are not getting notified just because you have "Anyone" in the permissions? That shouldn't be the case. Are you sure the notification schemes are correct?

Other users who are explivitly members of the project are getting notifications so I know the notification scheme is working. Also, the user who isn't getting notifications from this project gets them from other projects so I know it's not a problem with her user status. Frankly, I am baffled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2013

May I ask you to clarify how you are using the notification scheme? What I'm reading here is that you seem to think that just putting "anyone" in the permission scheme should get them notifications, but that's not right. (I've probably misunderstood the question and comment completely)

The "anyone" permission should be allowing everyone to see the project, and hence get notifications, but the notification scheme tells Jira who to send them to (if they can see the issue)

I guess what I'm asking is "what notifications are not going to the user, and what does the notification scheme say for those events"?

It's basically the default notification scheme with a few minor tweaks. The one in particualr that isn't working for this user is "Issue Commented -> Reporter". Other people are getting the same notification in the same situation. The comment in question was entered for by another user (not the reporter) so the setting for "Don't notify me about my own changes" doesn't apply here either.

Suggest an answer