Notifications are triggering for any change in issues for a uer though user is not a reporter,assignee watcher as per our notification theme

krishna keerthipati October 29, 2013

One of our user is getting email notifications for any change happen in related project issues update/comment/work log, How to stop these email notifications. We are so surprised that is happening for only one user.

What are the possibilitis to solve this issue.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
krishna keerthipati November 4, 2013

Mail server team is saying they dont see any issue with that user and i am in process fo finding how this user is unique in 100's of other mail server ot jira users.

let us close this discussion thread for now and then will reopen if any more assistance needed from you.

I appreciate your support and help during this issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

I'm not sure that there is any issue with the user, but your mail server team are the ones best placed to explain why "email sent to person A is arriving in person B's inbox" That's where the problem is.

Anyway, good luck!

0 votes
krishna keerthipati November 4, 2013

I am working on other solutions for this problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2013

Fixing the mail server?

0 votes
krishna keerthipati October 30, 2013

I checked with microsoft exchange server also nothing changed recently but this Jira notifications probelm was happening only from last monday (10/28) not before that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2013

The problem here is that the email is being sent to one person and arriving with another.

That is not an issue with the system sending the email. It's your email system doing something odd. It doesn't matter that your Exchange server has not been changed, it matters that it is misdirecting email.

I'm afraid you have an issue with your mail server(s) and you need to fix that.

0 votes
krishna keerthipati October 30, 2013

Hi Nic, we even tried to notification help tool to find out why this user is getting notifications for any change in the jira defects, it is also showing that this user should not get any.

Is there any other so;ution for this issue.

0 votes

Thanks Nic,

This is the actual internet header of the jira notification email, took it from outlook->message options.

Received: from RESSMTP02VM.resources.pacificlife.net (10.199.10.45) by
reshub02.resources.pacificlife.net (10.250.0.194) with Microsoft SMTP Server
id 8.3.327.1; Tue, 29 Oct 2013 13:05:53 -0700
Received: from LPSVN01V.life.pacificlife.net ([10.254.100.78]) by
RESSMTP02VM.resources.pacificlife.net with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
Tue, 29 Oct 2013 13:05:53 -0700
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:05:53 -0800
To: ShuSia.Lukito@PacificLife.com
Message-ID: <JIRA.11699.1381279211573.10298.1383077153342@LPSVN01V>
In-Reply-To: <JIRA.11699.1381279211573@LPSVN01V>
References: <JIRA.11699.1381279211573@LPSVN01V>
Subject: JIRA: (PRIME-1213) Edit Profile: Security settingsTrying to change
the password gives a confirm password popup
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: bulk
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-JIRA-FingerPrint: 71df6025998ee331a8b8f06558753679
Return-Path: lifenet@pacificlife.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 29 Oct 2013 20:05:53.0799 (UTC) FILETIME=[45BC5170:01CED4E2]

But in the above header I do not even see the email of user janetta 'Janetta.Romans@PacificLife.com' but still notifications are triggering. Will you be able to provide some toher solutions.

How to see logs of notification emails generated for particular user in Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

Ok, that's great, just what we needed. You could enable mail logging at a higher level, and look in the notification table, but I'm afraid the problem here is outside Jira.

Janetta's email is not included in the header anywhere, so the email was simply not sent to her, it went to ShuSia. There is something on your mail server that is copying the email to Janetta for some reason. Could you check all of Janetta's email aliases and check ShuSia's account too?

You might also want to check the Exchange server for that message ID, that might tell you more about what Exchange has been doing.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

You need to track it back from their email address. Have a look at the email header they are getting to see exactly who it was sent to, then go into Jira's user list and search by that email address.

You might find that there's more than one instance of that mail address, and one of them is on the reporter/assignee/watcher list.

The other thing that happens sometimes is a group mail - is this user in an *email* group (defined in your mailserver) that is set up to get email from Jira?

You should also check for listeners that might be sending extra emails, outside the notification system.

Thanks Nick, i did check in the email header and that user eamil id is not even there in the email TO or CC.

Then I searched that to email id in Jira user management, it is just showing only one email as expected.

I checked in listeners also we do not have any users added for listener capability.

is there any other solution for this problem.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

I'm sorry, I don't understand the first sentence - if the user's email address is not in to or cc, then the email was not addressed to them, and they should not have received it.

Could you re-check the header of the email - the address it was sent to MUST be in there for it to arrive, so you need to find that.

Hi Nick, I mean to say email to cc does not have the email id of the user it has different esr that is actual reporter of that jira issue.

From:Alexander, Sam (JIRA) [mailto:lifenet@pacificlife.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:01 AM
To: Bailey, Jessica
Subject: logged in as Delegate

but the above email got to different user 'Janetta' also, who is not related in any way to this issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

Ok, that helps, but I'm afraid that still is not really the header of the email. This is what some email clients display, but we need to look at the raw header of the mail.

Most email programs will let you do this, although you might need to dig through the view options to find it. I'm afraid I keep wandering between different clients, so I can't really guide you directly without having the same client (Thunderbird - open the mail, click options, then "view source". Inky - down-arrow then "view source". And so on).

What we need to see is the actual email addresses that the mail was sent to. "Bailey, Jessica" is categorically not a valid email address (it's a perfectly valid display name, but that's technically useless and not what was set as the destination of the mail) and what matters is the real email it was sent to. I suspect the same for "Janetta" - we need the actual proper email address for the user.

Suggest an answer