Notifications - Not Receiving from subtasks (Service Desk)

Jacques Ferland September 23, 2019

Hello everyone.

I'm currently unable to receive email notifications from subtasks (parent tasks are working). I'm trying to figure out why (as it is my understanding that you cannot turn notifications for subtasks off... it seems.)

So... checked my notification scheme... copy of the default and correctly assigned to project. 

I do not have a specific workflow for subtasks (same workflow as the parent task) so I guess the bug is not coming from automated actions of transition misconfigs...

Any idea ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

Are you talking about agent notifications (ie the normal notifications that jira uses) or the "Customer" notifications. (the customer specific notifications in Jira Service Desk.)

For Customer Notifications, then The notification scheme for the project is not used. It uses the special customer notification in the service desk set up.

For a customer to be notified, they have to able to see the ticket in thier portal. To be able to see the ticket, there has to be a "Customer Request Type" Set for the ticket. This is set automatically when the ticket is created via the user portal.

Here is the catch, there is no way to set a "Customer Request type" on a subtask. Its not supported. So customers will never be able to see or get customer notifications from subtaks.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1422

Jacques Ferland September 24, 2019

Thank you for the clarification. Very helpfull... we'll have to work using linked issues instead of using sub-tasks...

BUT... I did tests yesterday with JIRA SERVER (my "real" instance and my "local" demo one...) and I could receive notifications from subtasks... i'll just have to pinpoint the difference between my projects (I started a project from scratch on my demo in order to reduce the "noise" regarding configs...)

Regards.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

As I mentioned, this only applies to Customer notifications. So it may not be what you are experiencing, particularly if you say you are getting notifications on your other instance. 

If you are going to try to use linked issues, the same rules apply the linked issue must

• Be in a service desk project the customer has access to.
  • Have a customer request type defined
  • The customer needs to be the reporter (or a request participant)

Or else the customer wont see it.

Finally one more completely separate thing to check.

There is a setting in your profile to say if you want notifications on your own actions or not. If you are working in 2 separate jira instances, then check this value. I have seen lots of people get confused because they have it set to not get notifications of their own actions, then wonder why they aren't getting notified when they make a change to the issue.

Like Jacques Ferland likes this
Jacques Ferland September 24, 2019

Thanks again. Thankfully, I was aware of the "don't notify on own changes" config.

Suggest an answer