Notification to Reporting Manager of an user

saba May 28, 2014

We would like to send an notification to the reporting manager of an user, based on a transition. How to obtain this in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

How are you storing it in Jira?

saba May 28, 2014

As of now, we are collecting these during transition and storing in a custom field. We would like to know any better option to store and send notification on transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

Actually, that's probably the easiest way to do it. If you are collecting and storing the manager in a user custom field, you simply add the field to the notification scheme and they'll start getting the mail (you can send to people like reporter, assignee, group, etc - look for "custom field" on that list)

saba May 30, 2014

In our organization we have three type of managers for each user. Is there a way to store all these details per user, instead of collecting them during transition, as in few workflows we want to assign to one type of manager automatically based on user selected.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2014
I am sorry that I do not understand this, but your last post makes no sense past the first half of the second sentence. Three managers per user is a really broken way to try to run an organisation, bit it can be understood. Storing that relationship makes sense. I have no idea what the rest of your comment means
saba June 1, 2014

Sorry for not being clear in the last post.

For each user there will three managers (Resource managers, Work Manager and Business Leader). Depending on the status, the issue has to be assigned to either resource manager or work manager or business leader of the user (User mentioned here can be either reporter or assignee).

Ex. During a "escalate" transition, we would like to assign an issue to work manager (from stored information) of the user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2014

Ok. So how are you planning to store the information that "Alice, the assignee, has a resource manager, Bob, and business leader Charles"?

saba June 1, 2014

I am not sure how to store this information. Can you please suggest?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2014

It depends on your requirements. If they're tied to users, you probably want to do something with your user directories. If they're tied to projects, think about project fields (done by a plugin) or metadata. If they're tied to issues, then your current "log user at the time of issue create/edit" is the right approach.

saba June 2, 2014

They are tied to users. Let me check on user directories.

Suggest an answer