Notification still get sent out even though Notification scheme is adjusted (especially "Updated")

Deleted user November 29, 2017

So my intention was reducing e-mail spam to make sure important ones are not missed.

I've updated the Notification Scheme to delete everyone with "Updated issue" and yet I still get JIRA notifications. I tried the Notification Helper and that says I should not get any... but I still do. 

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Issue Updated actually encompasses lots of other events, such as Assignee Changed, Issue Created, Comment Added, etc. (by that I mean if you change the assignee of an issue in Jira, you can only do that by updating the issue.)   The issue updated is probably the most generic event notifications can be sent on in Jira.  But it's not the only one.   So I would be interested to learn exactly what change was made to the issue because you could have other events in the notification scheme that are still set to send a notification.

The notification email itself should provide more details on exactly which event triggered this notification.  In the header of the body of the email, there tends to be more information in bold text such as "Issue Updated" or "Issue Assigned" or "Issue Commented on".

The notification helper should be accurate in regards to the event, issue, and user you enter there.  Aside from the different event types that could trigger these, the only other thing I can think of right now that might effect notifications might be if this is a Jira Service Desk project.  In cases like that, JSD Customers get notifications via another different system than is used by Jira Core/ Jira Software, something to consider.

Try checking these.  If you are still getting unexpected notifications, grab a screenshot of the notification and post it here please.

Andy

Deleted user December 1, 2017

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response!

Some additional information: 

JIRA Software is the only one we have. We're running server installation v7.3.1 (updating is a pickle due to staff changes). 

I'm attaching an example of "TRS-53" (some parts edited for privacy reasons). Where I'm the reporter (and Watching), and received this mail notification. Mail is showing "Updated". 

Also attaching the notification scheme itself. 

jira_notificationmail.PNGjira_notification_scheme.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Thanks for this info Maurice.  I am interested to see if perhaps the "Generic Event" is causing you to still get notifications of this kind of change because you are the reporter.

Could you try to adjust that notification scheme to remove the generic event notifications for reporter and then see if this same kind of change still sends you a notification?

Andy

Deleted user December 6, 2017

Hey Andy, I disabled "generic event" and that seems to be stopping the notification "Updates". However a dev also re-opened one to see if that still worked and I also did not receive that one while in the scheme it says I should.

So with disabling "Generic Event" it seems to have disabled more. 

Any way I can check or change that config?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2017

Hi Maurice,

I think at this point the next steps are going to be to take a much closer look at your specific workflows in question.  Specifically I would be interested to see the specific post functions on the transitions that are being executed.  It is possible that your workflows have been executing a post function to fire just a generic event.

However you can edit these post functions to fire specific events, such as Issue Created, Issue Reopened, etc.

This is the next piece of the puzzle as these workflow post functions are ultimately what is responsible for triggering the events themselves.   I think the notification scheme is correct at this point.

There is an example guide on Adding a custom event.  This might be helpful just to understand how to navigate into the workflow and edit the existing post function that exists on that workflow.  By changing the post function in this workflow from generic event to the specific event, such as issue reopened in that case, you can make sure that Jira is only firing that one event and not a broader generic event.

Deleted user December 7, 2017

Ahhhh found it! So when I check the post functions in the Workflow I've created for both Reopened, Done or Review for example all have: 

Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

It's been a while since I've created the workflows but my wager is that when I created custom Status or Transitions that it defaulted to Generic Event, even when they looked to be default ones (like Reopened). 

Will edit this for all the statuses and that should fix it. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Some like the "In Progress" have the following default that I can't edit. 
Type: class
Class: com.atlassian.jira.workflow.function.event.FireIssueEventFunction 
Arguments:
eventTypeId = 13

Is 13 also generic? (Can't find that anywhere in the documentation). 

Alternatively can just delete it and add a new one. But just curious. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
December 7, 2017

Hi Maurice,

I have sometimes seen Jira instances show their post functions in that type/class/argument format.  But that isn't always how those get displayed.  Yes I believe that the 13 is the default value of generic event.

You typically can't edit this default post function, but you should be able to delete this existing post function.  From there you can then add a new post function of type "Fire Event" and then choose the specific event type.  

After you make this change, you would need to publish this workflow before this change would take effect.

Deleted user December 11, 2017

Yeah I just noticed that eventTypeId 13 was set on a few others and indeed fired the "Generic" one. Deleted those and added the proper ones. 

No idea why everything was set on Generic. But now at least I know how to fix it.

Thanks! 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2017

Awesome, glad to help out.  If this resolved your problem here, then please Accept this answer.  This will mark this issue as solved and in turn might help other users that search on the same issue.   How and why to accept a solution to your question explains why this is helpful to our site.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events