Notification emails delay due to throttling

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

Hi All

Recently i have observed that the notification emails are taking longer and longer to get delivered. The jira mail queue shows 1800 emails in the backlog, it tries to send email but very very slowly (JIRA scheduler is set to run every 60sec).

On some days, there is no backlog of emails but on other there is a huge backlog with delivery times of 3-4 hours.

I presume this is a case of email throttling at the exchange server, but how can i prove it?

Also is there a way i can find out number of emails jira is trying to send out at any point in time, it may be that jira is trying to send hundreds or emails in short space of time causing the exchange server to throttle (or limit the amount of emails it accepts for delivery)

Rahul

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Also, how many concurrent polling Mail Handler configurations do you have associateed with that mailserver / the same account as your outbound smtp? If you have high numbers, eg >30 you may well be experiencing scalability issues? Alternate configurations could improve this (reducing number of mailboxes), JEMH was also written to solve such scalability problems, and can now do a lot of mail routing, reducing the need for multiple mailboxes.

JIRA sends outbound mail one at a time. There is only one outbound mail queue, therefore, monitoring the outbound mail log will give you an accurate indication of what is going on, or not.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2014

Suggest an answer