Notification Set Up

Jared Griffith September 5, 2012

Is it possible to set up notifications based on when an issue is created and it is a certain priority (critical in this case), where a certain group is notified and or automatically added as watchers to the issue?

If so, how is this accomplished?

3 answers

1 vote
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Hi Jared,

It's possible to do it using JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin. You have to add two post-function provided by this add-on to transition "Create issue":

1.- Use post-function "Set a field from a set of rules based on regular expressions" to set auxiliary virtual field "Ephemeral string 1" with the name of a group (e.g. "Critical watchers") in case field "Priority" is equal to "Critical".

2.- Use post-function "Add or remove watchers" to set the users in field "Ephemeral string 1" as watchers.

You can see in the following screenshots the way to configure these post-functions:

* POST-FUNCTION 1: "Set a field from a set of rules based on regular expressions"

* POST-FUNCTION 2: "Add or remove watchers":

* THE TRANSITION CONFIGURED:

Owen Schikhof January 20, 2013

This is actually pretty cool and it seems to work well. I just have problem that I can't figure out. I have used the example above which works great. Point is that I want it work not for all projects that use the workflow. I have tried to add a projectkey to it so I can limit it to 1 project now (and later expend to more) but no result.

Any idea or maybe examples how I could get this working?

Thanks in advance...

Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

Hi Kega,

You can do it evaluating a text composed of project key and priority instead of only priority. This way the regular expression associated with the setting rule must match both project and priority.

In the following example we suppose we want the same behaviour as in previous but limiting it only to project with key "CRM".

* POST-FUNCTION 1: "Copy parsed text to a field"

* POST-FUNCTION 2: "Set a field from a set of rules based on regular expressions"

* POST-FUNCTION 3: "Add or remove watchers":

* THE TRANSITION CONFIGURED:

1 vote
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

Hi Jared,

You can set up JIRA to notify users when an issue is created (see Notification Schemes) but notifying based on priotity is not possible out of the box.

There is a feature request for it though:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2115

The feature request also describes a workaround that may work for you.

-Simon

0 votes
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2012

a combination of filters and subscriptions would help though

Suggest an answer