Notification Schema - Single Email Address

Philip Honnold December 18, 2017

Hello,

I am running JIRA Software 7.5.3, have have it installed in our network.

I am trying to get a notification setup that goes to a single email user address. When I enter the email address needed for this I get an error 500 when I try to save the data.  The email address in question is a valid address.  It is a rather long address and my concern is that the field length is shorter than the email address in question. 

Does anyone have any ideas on the limits of this field? or what could be the problem here.

2 answers

0 votes
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2017

Hello,

The error I am getting is just a 500 skull and cross bones error. The only tech on the page states 'Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation'.  I also did the MySQL query string in that article and the result set was zero records.

So I was looking at my logs for JIRA and found the following text in it.

2017-12-18 20:48:39,804 http-nio-8080-exec-17 ERROR [o.a.c.c.C.[.[localhost].[/].[action]] Servlet.service() for servlet [action] in context with path [] threw exception [com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Notification][eventTypeId,4][scheme,10031][parameter,emailtosalesforce@t-1a2xi2fkc5r96pb6q08wd496rf8vxgwk86f5znpyhps4vefv46.2-ma1geaw.eu3.le.salesforce.com][id,10415][templateId,null][type,Single_Email_Address] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO notification (ID, SCHEME, EVENT, EVENT_TYPE_ID, TEMPLATE_ID, notif_type, notif_parameter) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Data truncation: Data too long for column 'notif_parameter' at row 1))] with root cause
com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'notif_parameter' at row 1

A ton of more text and then the following

Caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO notification (ID, SCHEME, EVENT, EVENT_TYPE_ID, TEMPLATE_ID, notif_type, notif_parameter) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Data truncation: Data too long for column 'notif_parameter' at row 1)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.executeUpdate(SQLProcessor.java:570) [entityengine-1.3.4.jar:?]
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.singleInsert(GenericDAO.java:198) [entityengine-1.3.4.jar:?]
... 259 more
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'notif_parameter' at row 1

According to a table create command against the 'notification' table show that the 'notif_type' field is only 60 characters.  The address I need to use here happens to be 102 characters long.  So I assume that address is stored in this field, and thus the problem. 

Anything I can do here?  Some sort of simple fix I can apply?

0 votes
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2017

Try setting 'Browse Projects' permission to 'Anyone'(any non-logged-in users). 

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. That setting is now in place, I think.  Only way to set it was 'Group - Anyone'.  I am still getting the 500 page error when I go to save the change.

Suggest an answer