Not understanding sprint report in Jira Agile

jason frueh October 2, 2013

I'm not understanding the Sprint report in Greenhopper for our must recent sprint. If you look at the burndown, we had 48 story points committed at the beginning of the sprint, but the sprint report is only listing 38. In addition, several completed stories are not receiving any credit and i don't understand why. They were included at the start of the sprint and had already been estimated. You can see the IDs of these stories with estimates when the sprint was started in the burndown chart, yet on the sprint report, and more importantly velocity, no credit is being given... Any help here? Our whole purpose for switching to GH was more accurate estimation, but this is just confusing.

I understand if there were a scope change or estimate after sprint start that this would impact the sprint report, but can't understand it in this situation. Here's my example:

Burndown chart shows:

Sprint Start: ID-1 ... Story Points 3

Later that story is completed and the story points correctly burned down in the burndown chart, however on the Sprint Report is shows:

ID-1 ... Story Points: -

Any thoughts? This is really throwing us off.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
P R October 3, 2013

Strange. I haven't encountered the specific issue you're summarizing and I can't think of any reason why that would occur. I'm interested to hear the resolution. Good luck.

0 votes
P R October 2, 2013

Hi Jason,

The integrated Sprint Report in JIRA Agile (formerly GreenHopper) requires the story points to be assigned to the story prior to starting the sprint (literally clicking the "Start Sprint" button/link). If you start a sprint with unpointed stories, these stories will reflect zero points even if you add points later. This also applies to any stories that receive a changed point value after the sprint starts (for example, if a story starts out as a 3-pointer at the time the sprint starts, but then you change it to 5 points duirng the sprint, the Sprint Report will keep the story's original value of 3 points).

What's interesting is that burndown charts will reflect whatever point value is assigned to the stories in real-time, so you will enounter descripencies between your point burndown chart and Sprint Report if stories receive updated point values after you click the "Start Sprint" button/link from the backlog (Plan view).

Hope this helps.

jason frueh October 3, 2013

Thanks Preston,

That doesn't appear to be what happened here. For example, we had an issue that was updated with the following:

We commited story points to the user story here (this is taken from the history of the ticket, though i altered the formatting)

Jun/07/13 10:33 AM (Changing the id of the story to XX-2000)

Story Points: 3

Our sprint was started on September 9th, and as you can see, when it was started this story was there from the beginning with Story Points:

Date Issue Event Type Event Detail Inc

09/09/2013 09:00 XX-2000 Sprint Start 3

So its there, with points at sprint start, but in the sprint report, once it was completed we did not receive any credit for the story. So we commited story points on June 7th, start the sprint with this story on September 9th, then completed the story on September 26th. Given all this info, i'm not sure why it is not counted in the sprint report. Thoughts?

Suggest an answer