Not possible to assign users to roles

Carl-Gustaf Wennström August 8, 2013

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with an issue I have with our OnDemand Jira. Seems that only I have the issue, nobody else seems to have it.

The issue is that when managing projects I am not able to add users to roles. When I start writing users' names Jira doesn't propose possible users, but it just informs me "The requested user does not exist".

I am part of the administrator group, so I should have the rights and as said, seems I'm the only one with this issue. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks already in advance!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2013
Please bear in mind that Jira and System Administrators administer the system and application side of things. They do NOT automatically get any rights in projects (admin automatically gets everything is a really bad model, and Atlassian do not do it). I suspect there could be two issues here: 1. You might not be a project admin. Check the permission schemes (a lot of places actively choose to give admins rights to projects - if this is the case, then you'll see something like "Project Admin rights = group:jira-administrators") 2. I think you're almost certainly missing another group - in global permissions, there is an option for "browse users" - I don't think your account is in any of the groups that have that. (As an admin, you can always add yourself!)
0 votes

Thanks! I didn't have the "Browse users" permission.

0 votes

I'm not the main administrator. I was added to the administrator group some time ago.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2013

Is your login the main administrator account and everyone else is not?

Suggest an answer