Not getting notified of Issue Assigned

Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2014

In an existing project, Notification Scheme includes "All Watchers" and "Current Assignee" under the "Issue Assigned" event which looks like it will throw email on any change in assignment to any watchers of that issue as well as to the new assignee. It's not working that way. 

I created a new issue, it was unassigned. I am not a watcher of that issue. I had a friend assign it to me. I never got email notification. 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2014

In your second test (I had a friend assign it to me), did they definitely use "Assign issue" and not "change the assignee by editing the issue"?

Also, have you checked your email rules and spam filters?

Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2014

Notifications are being sent in other situations such as if I'm a Watcher. I expect the problem is that we are simply editing the Assignee field rather than selecting "Assign" from the menu. Doing another test. 

That is not very intuitive. I understand why it might do that but it will be tricky to get people to not edit the Assignee field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2014

Ah, yes, there is an open issue for this with Atlassian (been there for a loooong time). It only fires the "issue assigned" event if you assign an issue, and does not do it when you just edit the assignee. The code that picks up "reassigned" only triggers for that one event. It's rather annoying...

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2014

Is anyone getting any notifications? If not, you probably have a problem related to the mail server or blocking emails. If yes, are you using the Assign button or changing the assignee in the edit screen. If in the edit screen, the issue assigned event isn't fired. Try the Assign button

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2014

I do get notifications if I'm a watcher of an issue in this project.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2014

Notification Helper states: <check>I receive notifications for the 'Issue Assigned' event <warn> I do not get notified of my own changes I don't know why there are two status comments - that's confusing, do they add? does last one win out?

Suggest an answer