Not all my custom fields show in the Setup Field Mappings step of a CSV import.

James Sorby July 4, 2012

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?

The Atlassian online documentation states:

"Other fields

If your wish to import any other fields, you can choose to map them to specific JIRA custom field(s). If your custom fields don't yet exist in JIRA, the importer can automatically create them for you. If your custom field is a date field, please use the date format specified on the second step of the CSV import wizard"

Which would suggest they should all show, however, it then states on the import screen "Existing custom fields must be global to all projects", so what does this mean? I have checked and all my custom fields have a Global contenxt and are not limited to any one project.

Many thanks for any advice that can be offered.

James.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2012

The fields which are not shown, are they global fields or restricted to certain projects? You can see it under Administration > Custom Fields.

James Sorby July 5, 2012

Hi Jobin,

Thanks for responding to this.

If you mean the section "Choose applicable context" in the Custom Fields --> Edit Configuration screen, they are all global - i.e. they are set to: "Global context. Apply to all issues in JIRA."

This is why I am a little confused as I have about 40 custom fields, and the 5 of them that do show in the import mappings are setup exactly the same as the ones that don't?

Thanks

James.

James Sorby July 5, 2012

Hi Jobin,

Thanks I have solved it!! Your comment pointed me in the right direction - and it now works.

It was not the "Choose applicable context" that needed to be global as I had originally thought. Instead, it is the "Choose applicable issue types" that needs to be set to "Any Issue Type" to make that customer field importable.

The Jira documentation is a little confusing here as it gives the impression that it is the project context that drives this, not, as the case is, the issue type context.

Thanks again.

James.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

cool.. Yeah, they are restricted by both projects and issue types.

Suggest an answer