Not able to move to a custom column my issue

Vasilis Gennaris December 7, 2017

Hi all, 

i have created a custom workflow and i have assign it at one of my project, and i also added to my board the needed columns.

When i am trying to move the issue to one of the new columns it doesn't let me and i get the error that is shown on the screenshot.

Any help/idea what i might doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 14.39.08.png

4 answers

1 vote
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2017

If you want to double check what workflows are assigned to an issue type, within your project.

Check the Project Settings > Summary > Workflows.  Click on the Scheme Link, and see what workflow it assigned to each issue type.

summary workflows..PNG

Task Management Scheme.PNG

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 17.58.14.pngThis is my workflow on that project.. I cant really undestand if something is wrong..

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2017

I think we have ruled out the workflow, itself, being a problem, baring any unseen conditions or validators needed.  We just now need to figure out why the issues, won't respond to the workflow.  

When you open the issue, not just work with it on the board, Do you have options to move it into one of these status? Do you only have Done as an option?

todo&done workflow.pngOr do you have more buttons that reflect the status for your workflow, you shared above?
Similar to this:

more status workflow.png

Vasilis Gennaris December 8, 2017

Good Morning from Greece! So i attached a screenshot from the certain Story that is presented in that board. So actually the Status is the same "In Progress" to all the columns (In Progress, In Vision, Copyrights, Ready to Push)Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 11.31.59.pngActually i think my issue is a bit more complicated. Let me explain you. 

I have five projects and i don't have cross functional teams. So the four projects are for my four products and the fifth has  two boards, one for front-end and one for design, for managing the stories for the designer and the front-end developer. These stories those are created into the other four products-projects and by tagging them with design and front-end tags i can see them in the fifth project, each in its own board, by using filters. I cant understand if the one workflow overlaps the other or if i should do something more in this case..

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2017

@Vasilis Gennaris

Good Morning, from Ohio, in the US :-)

I think I understand what you are doing with the projects/Board.  The Tags for displaying design and front-end are really interesting.  I like it!

I've been really thinking about your problem, Not being able to see into your environment, makes troubleshooting this kind of difficult.  So I'm going to list out things I know will block movement for issues on a board.

Board:  Workflow status are mapped to the correct Columns.  

Permissions: make sure you have permission to transition an issue,  You probably do, but its a good simple thing to check.

Workflow: conditions, validators and post functions. We have talked about those already, doesn't seem to be the answer to this issue.

Workflow: workflow is assigned to the issue types you are working with. 

Workflow: Is there is a transition between the two status, that you are trying to move between?  If there isn't a transition between In Progress and InVision, you won't be able to move the issues on the Board.

Taking another look at your Workflow below, you only have a Transition from InProgress to Feedback, so you will only be able to move Issues that are in the InProgress column to the Feedback (and from Feedback to CopyWriting & InProgress) column.  You also are missing a status for InVision, in your workflow, so nothing will be able to move to that Column, until you change your workflow and create transitions to that status.

Important to think about Boards, as something of a visual mapping of your workflow. Your columns can be named anything and display items from more than one status, but you are still mapping the workflow status to the columns and movement to those columns(status) is constrained by your workflow.

Vasilis Gennaris December 8, 2017

Hi again,

as i realise from your sayings i had an issue with the transitions and the proper statuses in the columns. I made some changes and it started working. At least i can move to the next column. 

I tried to populate my workflow with more back and forth transitions but this didn't work. What happened, is that i can see the changes inside the projects workflow but that doesn't seem to apply to my board.

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 17.07.29.png

And when i created a new Story with the newly added transitions the story seemed to took the old one.

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 17.09.47.png

1 vote
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

@Vasilis Gennaris

Just make sure you double check the ToDo to In Progress Transition.

Also make sure that you have this workflow assigned to the correct Issue Types.  It might be that you have an issue type with a Workflow that only has the status, To Do and Done.

I don't thing that this is my problem, but i really got lost about the connection, as i am new to Jira, between issue types, workflows, boards, projects etc.. Is there any good documentation that explains all these connections?

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

You've got the Atlassian Documentation, which is good, but sometimes isn't as explanatory as it could be.  

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/jira-administrator-s-guide-720411870.html

You can select the version you are working with in the upper right corner for Cloud or Server

I tend to be a move visual person, so YouTube has been a fantastic resource.  Lots of good, even if they are older, videos and information there.  

0 votes
Rudraxi Parashar December 6, 2020

I had a similar problem, of not being able to drag issues to the newly created column, irrespective of the WIP limits. All I do is just visit the workflow screen and it begins to work. Do the workflow and transition settings get triggered after a certain amount of time?

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

@Vasilis Gennaris

Do you get the same error when trying to move to the same transition within the issue itself? Make sure you don't have any conditionals or Validators need on the transition, that haven't been filled out or are missing.  

I only can move them to the To Do and the Done columns. The rest columns that i created have the Status In Progress and the column In Progress has. I have also the below workflow for that board. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 15.56.37.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

@Vasilis Gennaris

Do you know how to check the configuration of the transition?  for example this transition has a Condition on it, that only the assignee exicute this transition from the the Open/Reopened Status to the In Progress Status.Transition Conditionals..PNG

I wasn't aware but i checked it and doesn't have any special conditions as you can see in the screenshot. Is there something else that might create this problem?

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 16.50.31.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

Could you go back to the board configuration and check what columns contain?  What status do you have in each column?

I have these columns: 

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 17.02.52.png

Suggest an answer