Not able to import the deleted project in jira5.0.7 64-bit?

jayasingh July 7, 2013

Hi All,

I am not able to import the deleted project in jira5.0.7. I am getting the custom field configuration error. i have taken the backup of zip file after that i have deleted some projects. Then i tried to import the projects. some projects i am able to import but for some projects its showing the custom field configuration error. I got stuck with this error.Below is the screenshot of error

Thanks,

Jayasingh

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013

Hmm, I believe that the custom fields Area, Comments, and Defect Found Date are not existent in the instance that you are importing into? Can you ensure that these custom fields are created (and also make sure that the created custom fields are exactly the same type as the instance in which the backup was taken)?

jayasingh July 7, 2013

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply.

These custom fields are present in the instance which i am trying to import and those custom fields are same type as the instance in which the backup was taken. Still i am not able to import those projects :-(

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013

Ah, another thing I forgot to asked: are the custom fields mentioned above configured for the Bug issue type in the new instance? You can check this on the custom field's context section (Custom Fields > Gear on the FIELD_NAME > Configure); check whether these fields are set for specific issue types, and/or per project basis.

Something like this:

jayasingh July 7, 2013

Hi Justin,

Yes the mentioned custom fields are associated with the issue type BUG except for custom field Comments. I am facing the same issue while importing the project. Here the project i am trying to import is Mobile Couponing. The screen associated with this prject is Mobile-Couponing Screen.PFA screen shot for all the three fields.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

I see. Seems that the custom fields are intact and correctly mapped. Can you try to set the Project(s) to include all projects? Just to increase the visibility for this project import.

jayasingh July 8, 2013

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your input.

We have changed the mentioned custom fields global to all projects but now we are facing an issue with the custom filed values.PFA screen shot of error.

Could you please suggest to resolve this error.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

Okay, you're almost there. Can you ensure that the custom fields Severe, Defect_Status, and Module has the options set for them? From the error, it seems that the mentioned custom fields doesn't have the options to map the imported project's data into.

You can check the custom fields' options from the same configuration page (Custom Fields > Gear on the FIELD_NAME > Configure).

jayasingh July 8, 2013

Hi Justin,

The mentioned custom field values are already present in those custom fields.PFA the screen of custom field options. Kindly check. whether i need to do any changes here?
Let me know.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

*We can try this for just one custom field, and let's see what's the outcome.

Can you set the Defect_Status custom field's context so that it's not limited to the Bug issue type? Attempt this and see whether the error message still lists this custom field again.

jayasingh July 9, 2013

Hi Justin,

Now i am facing only one error for the defect_status value "New". Other issues got resolved by changing the issue type "Bug" to Global and adding those values in options. PFA the screen shot for the error.

Let me know wat needs to be done. I have checked by adding the "New" value by adding single spaces etc. But that doesnt work:-(Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

I see. Good progress, mate! I'm just wondering whether the custom fields would need to be set in a global context rather than project specific so that the import would go through.

Since you've already done this for the custom fields:

Now i am facing only one error for the defect_status value "New". Other issues got resolved by changing the issue type "Bug" to Global and adding those values in options...

This is indeed a weird scenario. I don't think it's because of the extra space in the "New" value; since the error message says the "New" value without any spaces after it.

Can you attempt to clear the Default value settings for this custom field? I see that this has already been set to the New value in your screenshot:

jayasingh July 10, 2013

Hi Justin,

Yes i have set it to Default value but still no luck :-(

we are having one more custom field with the same name Defect_status. But that is project specific. some projects and screens are associated with that custom field.PFA the screen shot for the same.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

jayasingh July 10, 2013

Hi Justin,

Finally Atlassian support suggest me to add the New value to the other Defect_status field and it import works successfully. But still having some doubt.

1. Before these custom fields are associated with particular projectsnow i changed to global. Will it affect any other functionality?

2. I have changed the Issue type 'Bug' to 'All Issue Type'. Will this affect any functionality?

3. Instead of adding the custom field values to the particular custom field "Defect_Status" i have added one Value 'New' to the second Custom field named ""Defect_Status".Will this affect any functionality?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi Jaya,

Glad to hear that the support team has assisted you in this issue. To be honest, it really seems like a buggersome import for you, but glad that you had it resolved.

Anyways, let's look at your questions:

1. Before these custom fields are associated with particular projectsnow i changed to global. Will it affect any other functionality?

Well, the thing is, we enabled them to be global just so that the import would go through smoothly, and since the import has been completed (which I assume that it did!), you can reset them back to their project-based context. Initially, making them global would actually showcase the fields in all projects and all issue types, which can sometimes cause issues if you have one custom field with multiple contexts (Module custom field, for example). So set them back to what it was before the import and you should be good to go.

2. I have changed the Issue type 'Bug' to 'All Issue Type'. Will this affect any functionality?

The same reason mentioned for point 1 above applies to this as well. :)

3. Instead of adding the custom field values to the particular custom field "Defect_Status" i have added one Value 'New' to the second Custom field named ""Defect_Status".Will this affect any functionality?

From what I understand in your layout of the Defect_status custom field, you are having 2 of them; and both of these custom fields are configured in such a way that only certain project(s) and/or issue type(s) will be using either one. Since the new value has been added for both, now project(s) and/or issue type(s) using either of these fields would have the new values prepopulated in the select list. I would suggest to set them back to their original state again prior to the import. :)

Hopefully, the next time when you go back to importing projects between instances, these answers may help you further! :)

jayasingh July 11, 2013

Hi Justin,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Happy after resolving those errors.

Cheers,

Jayasingh

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

Seems the fields are currently restricted to a project. You should make it available to all projects so that it is available to the project that you are importing.

jayasingh July 8, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Thanks for your input.

As per your suggestion we have changed the mentioned custom fields Global to all projects. Now we are facing the issues with the custom field values :-(.

PFA the screen shot of custom field values error

Could you please suggest to resolve this error.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

0 votes
jayasingh July 7, 2013

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply.

These custom fields are present in the instance which i am trying to import and those custom fields are same type as the instance in which the backup was taken. Still i am not able to import those projects :-(

Thanks,

Jayasingh

Suggest an answer