Not able to configure LDAP group lookup

Nacho Lafuente February 27, 2013

Hi, I've followed https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory to configure LDAP for my evaluation JIRA. At section Membership Schema Settings it says that there should be two checkboxes to decide whether groups are retrieved from the user (memberOf) or looking up the group and then users (member).

My problem is that only one checkbox is there. Also, if I check LDAP configuration, it seems that both checks are false.

What's happening is that ALL my LDAP users are being synchronized into JIRA, exceeding by far number of licenses.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

screenshot.

Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

i see no problem here, should work this way
but as i already comment
1) additional group dn only for narrow search of groups within your directory, for narrow user search better add userfilter to corresponding field ( see screenshot )

2) AFAIK doesn't matter how many users jira synced from LDAP only members of "jira-users" group ( group giving access to jira ) are counted to licence

Nacho Lafuente March 4, 2013

We have solved it adding a new attribute for each user in LDAP, so that filtering works. Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

additional group dn only for narrow group search within your directory
for narrow user search-sync better add userfilter to field

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

i think you are made some errors in config.
can you please post screenshot of config ( you can erase secure-related part ) for better undestand where is the problem

Please find my config.

screenshot.

0 votes

yes, same configuration is shown in my case. The problem is that although the checkbox is unselected (as yours), when I click on "Save & Test", the test is failing because it's ignoring the unselected "use the user membership attribute". My LDAP has not configured the "memberOf", but "member" for groups.

My configuration also tries to restrict sync'ed users to those belonging to group "staff", so "Additional Group DN" is configured to "cn=staff,ou=Group". But all users are being sync'ed.

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

can you please add a screenshot?

i have 2 fields and one checkbox to choose which field will be used

and it's working fine this way

Suggest an answer