Not able to change Project Lead field in any project

Dawid Skóra October 17, 2018

Jira Core 7.12

I am administrator and I don't see place where project lead can be changed. 

I tried from 3 places: 

1. Project setting -> details

2. Project settings -> roles and users

3. System -> projects -> edit

I am full system administrator, please help.

JiraUsersAndRoles.pngJiraDetails.png JiraSystemProject.png

4 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2018

OK, so definitely the place where you change thee project lead is the first screenshot. You should go to your Project > Users and Roles > Edit defaults. That opens a popup and show two fields - Project Lead (which is required field) and Default Assignee. The title of the popup also confirm that "Edit Project Lead and Default Assignee for Project... "

jira_project_lead_2018.10.18-13-31-04.png

Lets focus then on that screen and try to answer why you do not see the Project Lead field..

If you are an admin and see that popup you should be able to change the value. I guess the root cause of this problem might be related to:

• browser issue
  • your computer issue
  • network issue
  • third party addon issue
  • Jira bug 

To confirm one of those I recommend following troubleshooting path:

1. Check if this field is visible on a different browsers (Yes -> browser issue, No - go to next step)
  2. Please ask other admin and verify it he can change the project lead (Yes - your computer issue, No - go to next step)
  3. Please check if you see the field on a different network with no firewalls or any other IT "addons" that filter traffic to your Jira server (Yes - network issue, No - go to next step)
  4. Please run JIRA in SafeMode and see if you can change the project lead (Yes - addon issue, No - go to next step)
  5. Install fresh version of Jira Core 7.12 and check if you can change project owner (Yes- not a global bug, No -> Possible global bug in 7.12 JIRA server version). After that my only suggestion is to Create a Support Zip and contact Atlassian Support to confirm that.

Browser issue

Try to find any addons that might be tweaking or affecting JS. Try also older version of the browser (if possible). I suggest to run your browser in Safe Mode and see if that is still not possible. Then you should one by one check all of your browser plugins and at the end find what is affecting Jira. If you cannot find the reason the workaround is to use another browser to change owner

Your computer issue

Try simply same steps on different machine. Maybe your software installed on computer (like latest version of Java or other developers tools) is affecting Jira visibility. If you cannot find the reason the workaround is to use another computer to change owner (or ask other admin :))

Network issue

Many times IT departments add another brilliant rule to firewalls that should increase security but is actually blocking normal functions of an app. That should be easy to troubleshoot by switching networks. After that contact your IT department for details. If IT cannot find the reason the workaround is to use different network to change owner

Addon issue

All addons also use/load JS resources. Some smart developers might remove normal standard fields or simply using the same classes that are in conflict with system plugins. Running JIRA in Safe Mode will uncover if this is the real problem. Turning on plugins one by one might give you an idea which plugin is affecting your instance. Contact addon vendor for help. If vendor cannot find the reason the workaround is to disable the addon temporary to change owner

Bug

Even you installed a new fresh JIRA and do not see the problem it still might be a bug with your specific environment. If you include all gathered information from this troubleshooting path, support zip and contact Atlassian support directly I think they would be able to quickly verify this. If you have starter license and cannot create a ticket I think someone would be able to help here after you confirm that you checked all possible reasons.

If this would be a confirmed bug and would not be possible via UI as a workaround I suggest to try using REST API to change value of "lead" - https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.12.0/#api/2/project-updateProject

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2018

You may also want to check server log files for errors and Chrome, Inspect for javascript errors. Oh, and disable  Chrome extensions too

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dawid Skóra November 13, 2018

Yupi, It worked on Firefox 63.0.1 (64 bit) but not on Chrome 70.0.3538.102 and Edge :)

Very strange.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian November 13, 2018

Hey @Dawid Skóra
I have the same issue on my fresh installation of JIRA.
Did you found any solution?

@MirekI tried, all of these steps, other networks, other PC's, other browsers, still cannot change project lead.

Sebastian November 13, 2018

I tried 4th PC today.
On chrome 70.0.3538.77 (64-bit) works fine :D
Firefox 63.0.0.1 Project lead doesn't appear. But still, I don't see errors in console log in browser. Strange behavior.

Like Dawid Skóra likes this
0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2018

Hi @Dawid Skóra,

look at the Users and Roles page - on the top right side, there's a function: Edit Defaults - that's what you are searching for

Hi @Thomas Schlegel

I have attached first screen from this place, I have only option to change Default Assignee but not Project Lead :(

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2018

I see, sorry for the wrong answer. 

That's a strange behaviour, I've never seen before. There was an error fixed with version 7.2.7 - but it should be fixed in your version 7.12

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-60081

But I'm not sure, it's not exactly your error. 

Are you able to add other users to that particular project?

Yes I am able to add users to roles and groups. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2018

Is your project name longer than 20 characters? Then you might have this problem:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/project-lead-cannot-be-altered-for-a-specific-project-for-jira-7-802162379.html

Project name has 10 characters and Project Key 3. JiraProjectNameSize.png

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2018

I'll ask in our internal champion chat, maybe someone else has an idea.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

@Dawid Skóra, is this happening for more than one project?

@Scott Theus, yes, I am not able to change Project Lead in any project in our Jira. 

Bogdan Iwiński November 24, 2018

@Dawid Skóra I had a similar situation but was able to change a project lead in others projects (I am in Administrator Group). I was an Administrator in this project (set as a single person, not group), but when I add myself as a group of Administrators it change it. After this, I could change the project lead.

I don't know why, but it working for me now. Maybe it could help you also.

Suggest an answer